Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Clever Charlotte: Jasper Vest


Clever Charlotte recently released their Fall 2012 patterns.  I've been watching my pennies lately and have been putting off pattern/fabric purchases but I couldn't resist buying all 3!  

I bought the Jasper pattern with the intention of sewing the pants.  The vest has an asymmetrical zipper opening and I'm a little conservative when it comes to design details.  I figured if I made the vest, I'd adjust the collar and zipper so that they were straight.  

I must be feeling a little wild this week as I went ahead and made that vest, asymmetrical zipper and all...



And I like it!

jasper zipped

I used a Chez Ami twill for the outside and a quilting cotton from Jo-ann Fabrics for the lining.  The vest has side seam pockets:

jasper pocket

Gathers in the back with a buttoned tab:

jasper back

I sewed a size 4 because I wanted a more fitted look. Based on the little girls' chest measurements, the size chart indicated a size 5.  Before I hemmed the vest, MG tried it on and my gathering (via elastic) in the back was too tight.  The side seams were being pulled to the rear too much.  I moved the ends of my elastic in an inch on each side and that fixed the problem.

The vest is absolutely darling on but you'll have to wait until I have the complete ensemble sewn to see!










150x200

19 comments:

  1. I like the vest, too !
    Thanks for bringing to my attention that the CC fall 12 patterns are out, I just went over to check them out... maybe I'll buy the Olivine... looking forward to seeing what you sew out of that one :)
    have a great day !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see it on her! I too am trying to put off any pattern or fabric buying for a while and to get my sewing list down. Boy do you make this hard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, LOVE this - so cute, and I love the asymmetrical zipper. So fun! Can't wait to see....and yes, I hear you about the putting off pattern/fabric buying....sigh. Stash contest?

    xo

    C.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really, really, really (is that enough reallys?) want a DSLR camera so I've been trying to work from my stash instead of buying new patterns/fabric in the hopes that I can save enough up to purchase the camera. It's soooo hard when it seems like every morning there's new emails about great sales in my inbox. But I'm resisting for the most part!

      CM

      Delete
    2. Never enough "reallys" when it comes to a dslr! :) Best investment I ever made... aside from my sewing machines, of course;)

      Delete
  4. What a cute vest! I love the fabrics, can't wait to see it in action :-) !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Uta! Hopefully this weekend!

      C

      Delete
  5. You wild and crazy girl for putting in an asymmetrical zip!
    When I opened the photo in Google reader at first glance the collar looked like sherpa fur/fleece. Well, it isn't but wouldn't that look great on this vest! I really like the twill you chose. Fabric really does make the outfit and this looks stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it, Cindy, asymmetrical zip and all. The fabrics are perfect.
    Think I need to get this pattern now.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the pattern, I don't think you'll be disappointed!

      C

      Delete
  7. Its fabulous Cindy,sooooooo jealous that you have your patterns already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see what you do with the patterns, Nicole. And I'm hoping you blog mini tutorials about the construction!;)

      Delete
  8. Great job stepping away from conservative... says someone who's conservative herself... LOL!!! The asymmetrical zip definitely adds interest. I like it, Cindy. The buttoned tab at the back is another nice touch!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. I know, right? I just need to pick a color fabric for a long sleeved knit top(and sew it up!) then I'll get pictures of one of the little girls wearing the entire Jasper set.;)

      C

      Delete
  10. Cindy, Glad you stuck with the design, asymmetry and all. It is not so conservative, right?? Sweet fabric too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really should step out of my comfort zone more often! I love the finished vest...thanks for such a great pattern.:)

      CM

      Delete
  11. I really like the zip. Abby isn't a vest wearer or I would be all over this! Perfect fabric choices, as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My girls aren't either but I'm hoping they'll wear this one! Thanks, Brittney.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!