Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Shorts for Skirts

At the beginning of the summer, BK started asking for skirts to wear.  She preferred 'real' skirts with out attached shorts.  I obliged with a couple of neutral skirts and she wore them quite a bit over the summer.

However, elementary school dress code requires that the girls wear shorts under their skirts.  That means if she's going to wear the skirts to school she needs...

Ottobre Design 03/11 #5 Bubble Stripes, sz. 92*

BK is currently fitting into a 110 in Ottobre sizing.  But  I've found that knit bottoms intended for babies are generously cut through the back in order to fit over cloth diapers.  That means plenty of room for BK's round bottom!



Initially, BK was not impressed with the idea of wearing shorts under her skirt.  There might have been a "shorts AND a skirt are stupid" comment.  I stacked the deck though when I put clean clothes away in her drawer Sunday night.  There were 3 shorts & top combos and 2 skirt/shorts/top combos to choose from so that at some point this week they would get worn.  It only took until Tuesday!



We'll see when the next pair gets worn...





*Did you spot my mistake on the first pair?  Look closely at the overlap on the binding...they are the same direction on the graphic print.  oops!

9 comments:

  1. These look great, and I love the detail on the leg band - is it a pattern? ..... I still can't see the mistake in the first pair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sane her Angela,no mistake spotting!
    I do like this pattern,I love the wee notch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness for busy prints...they hide a multitude of sins!lol The notch is what made me want to try this pattern even though technically it was several sizes too small.

      C

      Delete
  3. Showing my age here... I like the uniform code re wearing shorts. Love the fabric on the top pair!!! Can't see the mistake, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are great. Funny that dress code requires them. Though I was just thinking Margot at 4 1/2 needs them. She chose to wear a dress to school and I am not sure she knows to be careful to let her underwear show!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This clarifies quite a bit for me :-) I received a Lands' End kid's catalogue recently - and all the skirts have shorts under them! I never saw this in Germany. While they sell their wares here, they obviously offer the same clothes as in the US - and now I know why there are shorts under skirts. (I have my girl wear boy-short style underwear under her skirts since I'm not so keen on flashing either :-) ) The shorts are so cute and BK will get used to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's gotten over her aversion as today she's wearing the second pair. It would have been a shame for her to not wear the skirts to school since she does love them!

      That's funny...I know it's common for RTW companies here to do the attached shorts bit under play skirts. I just assumed it was all over, not indicative to the US. Learn something new every day!

      Cindy

      Delete
  6. What mistake?! Can't see one anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's minor but it's still there!;)

      CM

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!