Sunday, September 9, 2012

Woodlands Shirt

September is National Sewing Month in the US.  With the kids back in school, September is also a great time to get a start on fall/winter sewing.  Things were a little rough last week as we settled in to the new routine, but I was able to get a little sewing in.  Last week's project...the Woodlands Shirt from Sew Liberated.


Woodlands Shirt

I like the square neckline and the pleat on the side.  

Woodlands Shirt


The shirt closes with 2 snaps that are under the row of buttons.   I originally had a smorgasbord of buttons...



But with such a busy print, I think it was a little much.  So, I went back and used some dark brown wooden buttons.  Every other button is sewn on with a color thread pulled from the print.




I sewed a size 5 with a 6 for the sleeve and body length.  Unfortunately, that isn't enough length and the sleeves are too short.  (The downfall of the kids being back in school...no one to hold the pattern pieces up to!)  I debated long and hard as to possible solutions.  A contrast cuff was one idea and the other was adding a panel to the bottom and doing a double tuck hem to make it look intentional.  In the end, I felt like the print was busy enough and that I should just embrace the 3/4 length look. 



To maintain, the body length I made a bias hem facing and sewed it on with a scant 1/4" seam.  


I like the pattern and the size range is nice...2-10.  I would definitely double check the length though before cutting your fabric.   This was my wearable muslin using left over fabric from this top so I wasn't too bothered that the fit wasn't perfect.  Next time around, I'll lengthen the sleeves so that they hit at the  wrist.:)






linking up to:  The Train To Crazy Make It Wear It Thursdays

17 comments:

  1. Gotta love bracelet length sleeves. Cute top!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great. I've been considering buying that pattern for a while. Your cute top has me convinced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I couldn't resist the price of the pattern when I was purchasing fabric from Bessie Mary. It's the same price at Sew Liberated's online shop.;)

      Delete
  3. What a great top! I love all the buttons it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a lovely top and the fabric is so sweet, the brown buttons are perfect on it. I love the square neckline too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a list of measurements for the little people I sew for, but it's not the same as trying the garment on or even holding it up next to them. It's a cute top... I love the brown buttons and the unintentional 3/4 length sleeves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is super cute! Gives me an idea for some fabric I have...
    It's been a long time since I've browsed your blog. Lots of fun and cute stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wouldn't have given the pattern a second glance from the photo they used. But yours is super cute!! I really like your randomly positioned buttons and the threads! ... and your awesome photo bomber in the back of the last pic! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that hilarious! I couldn't resist slipping that photo in.:) BK was not happy that I took away her playmate so I could get some pictures.haha Thanks, Brittney!

      Delete
  8. I've been resisting this pattern for quite a while mainly because I wasn't sure if I would love it on an older child.
    Well, know I know - looks super cute on her (and I do love your fabric choice. Perfect for fall)!
    And the different threaded buttons are awesome! Thank you for the inspiration!
    Ana Sofia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ana Sofia! I do like the style and will probably make several more for the girls.

      Delete
  9. Love it Cindy - the buttons looks fantastic
    I made a 10 for Rosie - plenty wide enough but too short in both the body and the sleeves.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I thought about making one for K but she prefers tops that are more slim fitting. I never could convince her that an Ice Cream top/tunic would look cute on her...

      C

      Delete
  10. Gorgeous - I love your buttons sewn with different coloured threads - so subtle and lovely. I like the 3/4 sleeves too, even though they weren't in the plan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad I took the other buttons off and went with the wooden buttons.:)

      CM

      Delete
  11. Love the wooden buttons with coloured stitching!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!