Friday, October 12, 2012

KCWC: Day 5






MG snagged the Oliver + S Hopscotch top (size 6) I made yesterday and wore it to school today.  



So, of course I needed to sew another for BK to wear.



BK chose a turquoise cotton interlock from Chez Ami for her top.  It doesn't have the drape like the other top but it still works.  

I took a few pictures to show how I changed the yoke so that it is one piece.  


1. Fold the original pattern piece on the center front line and place the fold on the edge of your tracing medium.  Trace around the pattern piece, rounding the center front a little.

2. Round the outside corner.

3. Cut out your new front yoke but save the little wedge.

4.  Tape the wedge to the lower front panel.  (I didn't do this on the first top and it was fine.  But I tried it on the second top and took pictures for what it's worth.)

You'll place your new pattern piece on the fold when you cut the yoke out of your fabric.

For the sleeves, I added a little bit of width to the top part of the sleeve.  Rae shared a how-to HERE recently.

The only other changes I did were to shorten the neck binding by about 2 inches and to interface the center front under where the buttons go.  



Both tops have received the all important stamp of approval!





Linking up to :  Sew Country Chick

23 comments:

  1. Perfecto! I can't decide which I like better, so I will just say both:) I have my compliment tee cut and hope to get some precious sewing time in tonight, we shall see! I love the look of the forced "cheese" on BK's face:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll probably make a few more. MG already stained her top...go figure.

      C

      Delete
  2. Very nice! Your girls are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this modification! So cute! And the tops look very comfortable - like something I would wear, come to think of it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cindy,you are so clever!
    You are indeed the knit Queen,all hail!
    xx N

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your kids are SO lucky to have you sewing their clothes!!! One day (???) they will appreciate your skills... when they have their own kids.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So very clever of you! I am going to give this a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the shape these very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love these Cindy - thanks for sharing the how to!

    Btw - i'd love to see pics of how you do your neck bindings - I always stuff mine up....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! Next time I sew a knit top, I'll take pics and put them in the flickr group.

      Delete
  9. Lovely tops! I'm a beginner sewist and a bit nervous about working with knits. Any tips or tricks of the trade? Wondering what type of project I should begin with.... -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thanks! I sent you an email with some info.:)

      Cindy

      Delete
    2. Once again, you rock.

      Just thought I'd share this with you:

      http://thethinkingcloset.wordpress.com/2012/10/24/nifty-item-3-its-a-fabric-bonanza/

      Delete
  10. This top is awesome!!!Thanks for sharing!!!
    www.blissfulsewing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the second one :) Its too cute. Thanks for visitng my blog !!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Alright Cindy, I am trying to do a t-shirt like this, but I can't figure out how to put the neck binding on! I am stuck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I emailed you at the address that's associated with your blogger account.:)

      C

      Delete
  13. Cindy- I am trying to do a t-shirt sort of like this, but I can't figure out how to put on the neck binding! I am stuck!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!