Friday, November 30, 2012

Handmade Christmas...Well, Kind Of

This post is mostly a glorified to do list, with pictures. 

95% of my Christmas shopping is done *Hooray!!* but there is still a long list of sewing that needs to be accomplished between today and Christmas day.  To be held accountable, I'm listing it all here so that I can be shamed when I don't accomplish everything held accountable.

Buckle your seat belts, here we go!

First off:

016
Oliver + S 2+2 blouse for the little girls
 
 
013
Clever Charlotte Peridot ankle pants for MG
 
 
Okay, the first 2 are technically not part of my Christmas sewing.  But they have been sitting in my to-sew pile, cut out no less, for way too long.  I can't in good conscience start another new project until these are finished.
 
 
Next up, holiday clothes for the kids:

 
012
Sketchbook Shirt for P
 
 
007
Oliver + S School photo dress for little girls
 
 
002
 O+S Playdate Dress for little girls
 
 
008
O+S Book Report dress for little girls
 
 
I don't have a picture of K's dress pattern but it is from Ottobre Design 06/12 (#30) and will be made out of a turquoise knit jersey fabric.
 
*disclaimer:  I don't plan on making all 3 of the dresses for the little girls before Christmas.  I'm going to pick 2...right now, I'm leaning towards the Playdate and School Photo.
 
Like a lot of you, I give the kids new pajamas to open up and wear on Christmas Eve.  K and I went Black Friday shopping at Jo-anns to pick out flannel.  This is what we came home with...

 
003


Yes, I bought bolts.  Don't judge.
 
 
005
 
 
006
 Solids to coordinate with the above prints
 
 The younger 3 really need new pajamas.  Poor P's pants from last year are hitting him mid-calf.  And the little girls are been bumming t-shirts from their older siblings to sleep in when I'm not on top of the laundry. 
 
Patterns that will be used:  Oliver + S Bedtime Story and/or Kwik Sew 3105, Ottobre Design 06/11 #37 for P, and Ottobre Design 06/09 #39 for K
 
*December goal:  Make sure each kid gets at least 1 set of new pajamas.
 
There will be gift sewing for the kids:
 
*I don't have to accomplish all of the above with the exception of the ornaments.  They are intended to be stocking stuffers but just in case, I already have some little things bought. 
 
And the BIG, heart pounding, scary list is "Gifts for Others":
 
Some kind of bags for the little girls' teachers.  Tote bag, zippered pouch, make up bag, coin purse, pencil pouch...there are hundreds of free tutorials/patterns out in blogland.  I have a few pinned that I really like. 
 
I was thinking of making a library bag for my mom using the Oliver + S Mother Daughter Tote Bag which is a free pattern.  And Mom, if you read my blog just forget what you saw.;)

I'm also making pants for my 2 nephews (Hello, O+S Sandbox Pants pattern).  I'd like to make 2 pairs for each of the boys BUT I need to make at least 1 pair per boy.  This one will be fun as when I asked my SIL if she'd like me to make the boys some pants she replied, "For the pants -- we'd love pants for Christmas!  You are so cool!  No need to keep things too neutral -- both boys like bright colors. I hate how drab boy clothing is!! Their favorite colors these days seem to be red (A) and light blue or teal (S).  We all like patterns -- stripes, dots, etc. They both love fuzzy fabrics - fleece and flannel and soft corduroy."  I can't wait to jump into this project!
 
 
So, that's what will be going on in my sewing room over the next few weeks.  I'll be posting an update at least once a week or as I finish projects, whichever comes first (hopefully the finished projects).
 
What about you?  Are you planning on doing any holiday sewing whether it be for yourself and your family or gifts to be given?  I'd love to hear about it!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


21 comments:

  1. Whew, Cindy! I am getting tired looking at your list. You go girl!

    I am doing some Christmas sewing. Maybe I should publish my list too? Whatever I am posting from now on are gifts. I am not putting names by them and hoping I don't ruin any surprises. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a fun list!
    you're killing me with all the O+S patterns & gorgeous fabrics, my vote would be for the school photo & playdate dresses :)
    my holiday sewing goal is to start & finish my daughter's Christmas dress which has to be done by the 24th

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made flannel pj pants and matching applique shirts for all my nieces and nephews for Christmas (I have 11!). I finished them the day before I gave birth to my baby :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to seeing what you make, Cindy! I may end up making one thing each for the kids - should get started really!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every December, I tell myself that next year I'll get started months ahead of time. Um, yeah...missed that boat again!lol

      Cindy

      Delete
  5. What a fun list! You are seriously my sewing role model. I've been getting so "crafty" with my projects, that I have been neglecting my sewing machine. You inspire me to get back to it! (And there will be no shaming at all if you don't do all of this. You're not superwoman...though sometimes I wonder.) ;-)
    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly have the time and opportunities to get all these projects done. It's the focus that I lack. I'm easily distracted by household projects that need doing, books, blogs, etc. during my few hours of no kids I have every afternoon during the week. I'm working on that though!

      Cindy

      Delete
  6. WOW!!! That's some list, Cindy. Way to go getting bolts of flannel. I'm hoping to make lots of Christmas presents, plus two more Christmas outfits, but realistically, I know I won't get it all done and there'll be a last minute dash to the shops.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the school photo dress, looking forward to seeing it! That is a monster list! Right now the only thing I'm committed to for sure is making toddler sized floor cushions for my 2 and a nephew. I would like to make them both Christmas outfits and pjs too, we'll see how the month goes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had that pattern for over a year and somehow it keeps slipping through the cracks and not getting sewn. We'll see! What pattern/tutorial are using for the floor cushions?

      C

      Delete
    2. I'm going to use this one http://www.livingwithpunks.com/2010/05/tutorial-land-of-nod-inspired-floor.html I want to make matching piping for them so I need to snag some piping cord- but it seems straight forward and not super resource consuming which is nice.

      Delete
  8. Bolts! I'm so excited by your mass-fabric buying! Have fun with all the lovely projects...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kids are getting so big that bolts (though to be fair, there's only 8 yards on these) are the way to go! Last year, I thought I had enough for the little girls nightgowns and ended up having to go back to the store and find a coordinate as they were out of the print I had used. I'm hoping to avoid that this year!

      C

      Delete
  9. Holy Moly!!! I'm in awe of the list, and the fact that you'll get through most of it! I should do a post like this - off the top of my head, 2 dresses, 2 shirts, 1 apron, curtains, Christmas decorations and one or 2 presents. Let's see how I do ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Impressive! (and totally jealous, in a good sense, of course, with your bolt splurge! Too much sewing fun ahead :)
    I'm still so behind my fall/winter sewing that I can only dream of (making) a Xmas sewing list this year (and I would love to get some much-waited quilts done by Xmas night, ...)
    Have fun and don't forget to show us :) Kisses, Ana Sofia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll definitely be sharing over on flickr and on here as I finish items! Thanks, Ana Sofia.:)

      C

      Delete
  11. Thanks for putting our list into perspective, Cindy!! Why freak out with our meager one after looking at your mammoth one!??!!? YOU. GO. GIRL!! We still have 1 Christmas dress for CL, and both girls a pair of O+S pajamas. Then, post-Christmas, we have 2 puppet show dresses for the girls. Technically, it would be wonderful to complete them prior to Christmas (we are keeping with a more wintery theme on them), but we don't foresee that happening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all doable as long as I stick to a plan. I'm hoping to have the dresses finished by Sunday (our family is lighting the Advent candle at church). Of course, I haven't even traced the patterns off yet! Then next will be the clothes for my nephews since they need to be shipped. Then the teacher gifts. The bag for my mom, the pjs, and any stocking stuffers need to be finished by Christmas Eve. Broken up like that, it's not so bad!

      I can't wait to see the dresses...I'm sure they'll be stunning!

      Cindy

      Delete
  12. Ha! I've bought bolts, too. When you have so many kids.... But really flannel comes in such narrow lengths, you need more yardage than you'd think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Last night when I was cutting out the older kids pjs, I could only get a front or a back leg cut out on the width. Factor in the fact that K's 5' 6" and P is 5" 1", I'm using a lot of length too!

      C

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!