Thursday, January 24, 2013

Catch A Wave

 P is often neglected when it comes to handmade clothes.  Let's face it...most boys' clothing isn't that fun to make.  Strangely enough, he's probably my most appreciative "client".  Project Run & Play's "Boys Week" was the perfect excuse to do some sewing for my boy.

Boys Week:  Catch a Wave
 
 
P2013
 
Shirt Pattern: Ottobre Design 04/12 #38 Rock-X Striped T-shirt
Size: 158
Fabric:  Burgundy and gray striped knit from Girl Charlee, gray ribbing and turquoise knit from my stash
Mods: Instead of the "Rock." applique shown in the magazine, I did a wave.
 
 
Top Details
 
I used turquoise thread at the neckline, sleeves, and hem to add a little interest and also to tie in with the turquoise wave applique.
 

P2013-4
 
 
Let me tell you a little about P.  He is 11, almost 12 years old and doesn't care too much about what he's wearing.  But when he does have an opinion, you'd better listen up!  When it comes to jeans, he doesn't like them to be "skinny" or to have any funky details.  This pattern is a slim cut and has some not so typical details on the back.  So, I double triple checked with P before tracing it off.
 
P2013-2
 The jeans fit him perfectly!
 
Pattern:  Ottobre Design 04/12 #36 R Starr Jeans
Size:  152
Fabric:  Denim with slight stretch from my stash
 
 
Jean Details
 
Details L to R:  Coin pocket, Green Bay Packer fabric for pocket linings, topstitching on back pockets, 3 lines of topstitching on inseams
 
Jean Back

More details:  4 pintucks on back yoke, triple topstitching on yoke seam

P2013-1

You know you've sewn a winner when the recipient asks to wear the outfit to school the next day.:)  I'm going to do my best to sew more for my son this year.  I already have another project in the works.

If you're interested in sewing for the boy(s) in your life, the ladies over at Once Upon A Sewing Machine are starting a series in February all about sewing for the boys.  There's also the ongoing link party for boys at Threading My Way.  And last but not least, there's a Sewing for Boys flickr group.  All great places to find inspiration!

 


Linking up to:

 Threading My Way

125 



 
Better Off Thread

 

39 comments:

  1. Woohoo! Green Bay Packers! Love the pants. :) Obviously, you are NOT in Wisconsin, though. I see ground and grass. It is COLD up here this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Not in WI..though my husband is headed up there tomorrow for the weekend. He says going up there in winter will remind him of why we don't live there!;)

      Delete
  2. Cindy, this outfit is fabulous! The jeans look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great outfit! It hits the sweet spot between over-the-top (which most boys won't wear) and rtw-boring (which most moms don't like). Good job! And thanks for the links; maybe I'll get back into sewing for my boy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Uta! That sweet spot is not very large but I was happy that the outfit pleased both P and me.:) You should definitely get back into sewing for your boy!

      C

      Delete
  4. Wow, Cindy! The shirt and jeans are awesome. I'm seriously in love with the jeans. Such nice work. I've been thinking about trying out an issue of Ottobre for a while - this may just push me over the edge. Also, thanks for the tips on inspiration for sewing for boys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's wearing the outfit today, Thanks.:) I really like Ottobre. There's a small learning curve with the tracing, adding seam allowances, and to the point directions but once you figure them out there's nothing you can't sew!

      Delete
  5. Those jeans are fab! He looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. great outfit~ I'm so impressed with the jeans, love the low pockets! so good to see older boys clothing for PR&P. I don't have anything to share for boys week, it was just way too busy of a week, so no kids clothes sewing, with no school Monday & chaperoning 2 days in a row on school field trips... maybe I'll sew along for one more challenge... how about you? do you plan to sew along for the rest of the challenges?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rachel! Sounds like it was a very busy week for you! I'm not doing next week's challenge as I have another sewing commitment that I need to take care of, but I might do the last 2 time willing. Which challenge(s) are you thinking about doing?

      Delete
  7. You know I love it when I exit Reader... The whole outfit is awesome but those jeans are amazing. Can you make some for me please?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super impressed with the jeans! What great wearable pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know if I've ever known anyone who could make jeans that looked designer - - and I suppose that's what they are. Designed by Cindy! That fun pocket lining is my favorite part. Also love the bright blue wave - - nice tweak on your part.

    Brava!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all in the details!;) Thanks, Lauren!

      Cindy

      Delete
  10. Seriously!! Cindy you are my hero, I already knew you were the Queen of knits, but I am stealing this from Justine and also calling you the Queen of jeans. I love this outfit so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You guys crack me up! It's like anything else...once you've done it a time or two, it's not a big deal.; Thanks, Brittney!

      C

      Delete
  11. Really impressive! I love the jeans and the wave on the tee is a great detail! I love seeing handmade clothes for older boys!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh man that is so awesome he loved it so much!! Excellent sewing, especially those jeans!! Good luck this week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. He sounds like my son. My son is eight and he doesn't care much about clothes but thy have to be comfortable to him. He does like when I make him things. With two little girls at home his stuff can end up taking a back seat. I need to get better about that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those jeans are amazing, Cindy!!! They fit perfectly and I love the details... the coin pocket and all the stitching. I'd love you to do a tutorial on how you attached the ribbing(?) to the sweater with the turquoise stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm SO impressed! People complain that they can't sew for boys but CLEARLY you've proved them all wrong! He even wears jeans his mom made. He's awesome! The outfit is all perfect as well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love it! It gets harder and harder for me to sew for my bigger boys. But I think you really hit the nail on the head with this one! It is simple, and flawless. I could see my big boy really wearing it! Home run Momma!
    with love
    -Jo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great job!! Love the lined pocket and thanks for sharing all of the details and links! I think I need to come and get some lessons ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seriously doubt you need lessons ;) but anytime you want to get together for a crafty/sewing afternoon, I'm game! Thank you, Marlene!

      Cindy

      Delete
  18. What else can one say?!?!!? Those jeans are amazing.....like you said, it is all in the details!! And, boy do you ever have them :)! EXCELLENT!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am so impressed with your sewing! The outfit is perfectly made and so appropriate for a boy his age. What I find most impressive, is that you made him jeans! Wow! Jeans that are full of special details that he will love to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't comment nearly often enough. Sorry. Your children are adorable and everything you make for them is fabulous! Don't know how you find the time to sew so much... and so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Teri! With my youngest in afternoon kindergarten, I have about 4 hours each afternoon during the week that I can sew. Not that I use that time just for sewing but it's there!;)

      Cindy

      Delete
  21. I am sure this will not be the last time someone says this but I love the pocket switch out! Clever and special equals perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's a great boy outfit, and thanks for all the boy links. I really want to sew more for my boys too. That's a very nice jeans pattern, I must go back and check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  23. We featured you on our blog. Thanks for sewing along! http://shaffer-sisters.blogspot.com/2013/02/prp-sew-along-winter-2013.html
    With Love,
    Shaffer Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  24. How big do the Ottobre patterns go? I might need to invest in the kids mag (I get the women's and love it) so that I can sew my tween girl some jeans. The patterns I've seen for jeans for her size mostly end at size 10 and have elastic in the back of the waist which she does not like. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!