Thursday, January 17, 2013

PR&P Challenge Completed


Whew!  I didn't think I would get the outfit done by the deadline due to a fabric shortage.  I had to think outside of the box to get the look I was after.  All in all, I'm pretty happy with the outcome!


prp2013-5
 
My look for this week's challenge is made up of 3 different separates, all Oliver + S patterns.
 
Sailboat Top & Skirt
 
The top and skirt are both from the Sailboat pattern and sewn from Chez Ami knits that have been aging in my fabric stash.  The skirt is a size 6 and the top is a size 5 with an inch added to the body length and 2 inches to the sleeves.
 
 
All Ruffled Up!
 
The jacket is the Sunday Brunch Jacket with a few mods.  I eliminated the gathered sections and the collar.  Then I added a ruffle that extends all around the perimeter of the jacket.  The jacket is also fully lined. My inspiration was a Chino Ruffled Jacket from J Crew.

 
Untitled
 
 I had some brown with pink dots fine wale corduroy in my stash but when it came time to cut the jacket out, I realized that I didn't have enough fabric for the ruffles. As my oldest daughter would say, Tear.:(  I debated about doing a plain jacket with no ruffles but couldn't give up my original vision.  I even dragged my neighbor off to scour the local fabric stores on Wednesday...no dice.  I almost picked up a different corduroy that had a cream background with multi colored polka dots even though I loved the brown and pink together.  Then the proverbial light bulb went off over my head. 

 
prp2013-2
 
The solution?  Take plain brown corduroy and pink fabric paint and make polka dot fabric! 
 
Wednesday evening I sat at the dining room table using a pencil eraser to stamp polka dots on my fabric strips.  BK was fascinated with the process and begged to help.  Not this time, dear.
 
I spent most of today (in between school runs and fixing dinner) sewing up the top, skirt, and jacket.  I was hoping to be done when my model came home from school so we could take some photos outside.  I wasn't done in time but the nasty weather meant no outside photo shoot anyways.  We made do with an indoor shoot following dinner aided by my husband's shop lights.  He graciously cleared a space in the living room and set up the lights.  He's a keeper! 
 
 
prp2013
 
 Guess which outfit BK wants to wear to school tomorrow?:)

eta:  Here are a couple more pictures that I took this morning.  The sun is finally shining again!
 

Sunday Brunch Jacket, Ruffled

All spread out, you can see how the ruffle goes all around the jacket.

Sunday Brunch Jacket, Ruffled


Today's outfit for school

And this is how miss BK wore the outfit to school today.  Brown leggings and sneakers instead of white tights and crazy boots.:)
 





Photobucket




Threading My Way

29 comments:

  1. Whole outfit is creative and clever! And there you were dithering over whether the pink stripe and brown dot fabric would work together....it did!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! I love your fabric combo. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute!! I never ever thought to do the sailboat skirt in knit, I love yours! I like that the ruffles have different sized dots than the rest, "good" thing you ran out of fabric, haha. And her boots are the perfect compliment to the outfit:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes having to think outside the box results in an even better look. Thanks, Brittney!

      Delete
  4. Okay, this post made my tummy hurt {especially when you started painting pink polka dots on the ruffle}! WOW!!!! It turned out so very cute....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It really worked out well. I was worried I wouldn't have enough strips painted as I ran out of paint after 3 1/4 strips. But it was just enough.:)

      Cindy

      Delete
  5. Love. Love. Love. The painted dots are brilliant. It totally looks like an intentional design element, since the dots are a little bigger and wider spaced. Adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like we kept a similar schedule this week. I was painting tights with an eraser yesterday and then barely finishing the shirt today to get some pictures and a post in before I went to bed. I love the brown and pink and glad you stuck with your original vision. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the perfect outfit for Miss BK! Cute and sassy all in one :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how you made lemonade out of lemons and hand-stamped dots onto that brown corduroy. Genius! And she looks so proud in that outfit - - the boots just complete the whole look. Thanks for telling us the whole story, too. It's inspiring to hear how other people problem solve. So creative.

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lauren. She was quite pleased with the outfit. MG has claimed it for church on Sunday.:)

      Cindy

      Delete
  9. I can't believe you painted that cord. Very Macgyver of you! Really like the outfit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to do something as I wasn't going to be happy unless the ruffles had polka dots too.;) Thanks!

      Delete
  10. Such a clever idea with the fabric paint! I love brown and pink together, the outfit is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a real fan of pink but there's something about brown and pink together that makes my heart sing! Thanks, Uta!

      Delete
  11. You pulled it off, Cindy!!! Awesome job with the fabric paint and I LOVE the brown / pink combination.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brilliant!! I second the 'Macgyver' comment :-) The 2 different size dots look perfect together and the outfit is gorgeous. I love what you did with the Sunday Brunch.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Super cute outfit! Pretty ingenious troubleshooting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is wonderful, Cindy - so adorable!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I guess this is why they call these things challenges!! Another sweet outfit for BK's wardrobe! I'm glad this didn't happen at our house - would have been hard to find a pencil with an eraser that wasn't chewed off ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll see it in person on Sunday...MG promptly requested to wear it for church.:) Most of our pencils are like that too. I had to break into my school supply stash that's hidden from the kids!

      Cindy

      Delete
  16. Yay, cute!! I ALMOST made a coat like that during the outerwear challenge for my PR&P season! Crazy! Still kind of want to...maybe a spring jacket? Good luck with the competition! This was a tough one, it seems - hard to mix stripes and dots!

    ReplyDelete
  17. this is a super cute outfit. way to go on adding polka dots to unpolka dotted fabric. I love her boots !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Those boots are her favorite.:)

      C

      Delete
  18. I love the story behind this outfit! I also love that your girls can often wear the same clothes and don't mind sharing. The outfit is darling and makes me want to buy more O + S patterns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen! They can share pretty much everything but pants and shoes. My middle girl (MG) has longer legs and needs a slim in RTW pants but the youngest (BK) is taller and wears shoes 2 sizes bigger than her older sister. Funny how that works!

      Cindy

      Delete
  19. Super cute! I love that you designed your own fabric. It turned out soooo good!
    liZ

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!