Sunday, January 20, 2013

School Photo in Stripes

The School Photo Dress by Oliver + S has been on my to sew list since I purchased the pattern while in Oregon over a year ago. I had a hard time picking a fabric that spoke to me though. My original plan involved a plaid but when it came time to cut the dress out the thought of matching all those lines overwhelmed me. Back to the drawing board...
 

Pattern:  Oliver + S School Photo Dress
Size:  5 width, 7 length
Fabric:  Alexander Henry’s Colour in Stripes in Dove, lined in a polyester lining fabric from my mother-in-law
Mods:  View A collar, View B sleeves


I dug through my stash and came across this stripe  that I bought after seeing a gorgeous Jump Rope dress from Gail at Probably Actually.  Sometimes, fabric needs to age a little before it's best use is made known. 

The School Photo dress is a little more fiddly than some of the other Oliver + S patterns with the kangaroo pocket in front and an invisible zipper in the back.  The dress is also lined.  I chose to mix and match the collar and sleeves as I preferred the gathered sleeve but didn't think the girls would like the ruffle around the neck.

I worked on the dress a little bit at a time, in between other sewing projects.  I'm not 100% happy with my kangaroo pocket but luckily the stripes camouflage my less than perfect attempt.;)

 
I've pretty much accomplished all the clothes sewing on my LIST.  All that's left is a shirt for P.  And that will be coming soon!:)
 

MG's turn to wear the Stripes, Dots, and Ruffles ensemble
 


22 comments:

  1. I think the School Photo dress is one of my all time favorite O+S patterns. I like your idea of using view A collar with view B sleeves, I've never seen that idea before & I might have to steal it :)
    You found the pattern to be too short on your daughter, too? I want to sew my daughter another one sometime very soon & I'll have to add a couple of inches to the length...
    I'm very impressed with how you matched up the stripes perfectly. And I can't believe she's standing outside without winter jacket/snowpants, etc, it currently is freezing cold here... anyway, she looks stylish in her new dress :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did have a jacket on but I had her take it off to get a few pictures before we went into church. It's in the upper 50's today.:) John has the weather channel on right now and they're talking about how cold it is in MN..you all have really been cold!
      Both girls definitely needed the length. Looking at the finished measurements of the 5 there was no way that would be long enough. At least that is an easy enough fix.

      C

      Delete
  2. I really love your version, Cindy, and also like the neck/sleeve combo. This pattern is still on my stash bust list, as I've had trouble choosing fabric for it too - think I've finally made a decision though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Justine! Gathered sleeves are my favorite. Can't wait to see which fabric you chose.:)

      Cindy

      Delete
  3. I love this in the strips! They look matched wonderfully to me! I have this pattern and two different cords waiting for it I must make them very soon now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The stripes are lined up so perfectly, I can't even see the kangaroo pocket, Cindy. The sleeves make this dress... love them!!! And yes, some fabric has to age, just like good wine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your daughter looks like such a model in that first shot! And I liked what you wrote about sometimes needing to live with a fabric for a while before knowing its best use...I think the dress turned out lovely. Looks both practical and cute. And for some reason, it's a comfort for me to see that little girls still where white tights and black mary janes. Some looks are timeless. And THAT is one of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lauren! It's nice to be able to dig through my fabric stash and find the perfect fabric.:) Though, buying fabric and hoarding, I mean holding on;) waiting for a good use of it can be be a slippery slope. I'm really hoping to sew more from my stash this year. So far, I'm off to a good start!

      I love the look of white tights and black mary janes.:) They are a staple in my little girls' wardrobes.

      C

      Delete
  6. I agree with you that fabric needs to age a little .... hence needing a stash!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your stripe matching is perfect!! I love that your fabric 'aged' . With me the pattern is 'aging' waiting for the right fabric :-) That last pic of MG is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the dress and the notion of 'ageing' - so true!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely dress! I don't have this pattern yet but I will have to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. Thanks! Oliver + S has the cutest clothing patterns.:)

      C

      Delete
  11. I adore this dress Cindy!
    My most favourite thing you have sewn!
    xx N

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) That's so sweet of you to say, Nicole! Thank you.

      Cindy

      Delete
  12. Love this version, Cindy!
    I often find that choosing the "right" fabric for a pattern is the most challenging part. The actual sewing always comes pretty easy, afterwards, lol
    Oh, and the concept of "ageing" fabric - Hilarious (and so true!!)
    Ana Sofia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ana Sofia! I have spent many a night unable to sleep running through fabric choices in my mind when I'm starting a new sewing project. I second guess myself a lot!

      Cindy

      Delete
  13. I LOVE this, Cindy!! And I can't even see your pocket, you are a true pro! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha,ha...I don't know about that!lol Thanks, Brittney!

      Delete
  14. i just clicked through from the o+s blog - how on earth did i miss this dress?? it's perfect. i adore this fabric, you put it to excellent use. and your stripe-matching is unbelievable! this is one of the few o+s patterns i don't own...maybe it's time :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!