Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Raven Jeans

MG needed some new pants, preferably jeans, so I put my other projects on the back burner for a day.

 
Size:  4
Fabric:  Denim left over from K's jeans
Mods:  Inset pockets, zip fly, added length
 
 
I'd been thinking of sewing another pair of Raven pants for a while now.  One morning this week, while doing my best to avoid getting out of bed, I had a lightbulb moment.  Why not take the Raven pants and add inset pockets and a zipper?  So I did!
 
true look at the usual state of my house
random objects are always on the ground, the furniture, the stairs, etc.
 

raven jeans 6
 
I had every intention of doing a tutorial on my modifications and blogging them today but I didn't do a perfect job converting the pants to a zip fly. Shhh...don't tell!  My fly shield is a little bit too wide and I forgot all about lengthening the waistband.  
 
Once I realized that I'd screwed up the waistband, I quit taking pictures. I'll do a full tutorial eventually. Perhaps when it's time to make some shorts for the little girls.  But in the meantime, here's a little peek at some of the pattern changing I did...
 
 
Adding a zip fly to the Raven pants requires a little more effort than converting a mock fly to a functional fly but it's not impossible.  You just need to add the fly extensions.
 
 
Even though I deviated from my list, the pants were a needed item.  And I love putting a smile on MG's face.:) 
 

PS  Clever Charlotte did a tutorial on their blog on how to add side seam pockets to the Raven Pants HERE.  They also show how to take the pintuck out of the front.



linking up to :  The Train to Crazy, Make it Wear it Thursdays

14 comments:

  1. Very snappy! And who wouldn't want to see that sweet smile? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That smile makes me do a lot of things that aren't originally in my plans!

      Cindy

      Delete
  2. These make great jeans - clever Cindy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! The fit is so cute on these jeans. A little seventies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm happy to find a new pattern company- this was my first time to see a Clever Charlotte pattern. The jeans are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amy! I really like the Clever Charlotte patterns I've sewn.:)

      Cindy

      Delete
  5. What a smart conversion. Give the front a definite jeans look but you still get the elastic back for skinny minnie kids :) I would be interested in a tutorial I hope you get a chance when you hit the shorts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These turned out fabulously! I love the contrasting thread and that super cute button. WAY better than store bought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got summer on my mind...so I had to put a little orange and yellow in there;) Thanks, Lauren!

      Cindy

      Delete
  7. I love how these look, and really like the fabric you used. Thank goodness for lightbulb moments!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adding the zip and pockets makes them so much more grown up.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!