Monday, March 25, 2013

Birthday Break

We interrupt all that Easter sewing to celebrate a very important birthday...

MG is now 8 years old!
 
MG Birthday collage
 
Very rarely are we home for MG's birthday, most years it has been celebrated in Florida.  But this year, we were home and most importantly (for her!) her birthday was on a school day so she could bring cupcakes in to share with her classmates.
 
I have a feeling when her classmates arrived home from school that there were some angry parents.  Instead of making cupcakes, I opted to purchase some from Sam's Club.  The cupcakes were bright colors--blue, pink, orange, and green--and had LOTS of icing on them.  A plethora of Buttercream icing in bright colors + a bunch of 2nd graders= stained hands, faces, and clothes.  That stuff was not washing off and many several of the kids wiped their hands on their clothes instead of on the napkins.  I sincerely hope that the stains wash out of the clothes!
 
I'm not big on throwing birthday parties every year as I stress big time over the planning so we kept things low key this year.  MG picked a restaurant to eat dinner at and Grandma and Grandpa joined us to celebrate. 

There were a few handmade gifts...

MG 8-2
 
Feed the Animals: Dog
 
This was not my best effort as it was a rushed sewing job today.  See! This is proof that I'm far from perfect! But MG didn't notice/care.:)  We placed a tube of Orange Crush lip gloss and a $5 bill inside.
 
 
MG 8

 
 
Pattern:  Ottobre Design 06/11 #33 "Robot Dog" Robe
size:  122, the biggest size of this pattern
fabric:  pink horse print, green gingham, and white terry cloth all from Joann fabrics
mods:  I didn't add the velcro circle closure to the top of the robe
 
MG asked for a robe a week ago out of the blue so I decided that it would make a good birthday gift.  (We have so many toys in the house, I like to keep the toy presents to a minimum.  She did get a Playmobil Vet hospital and a Pegasus Webkinz from us too.)
 
MG 8
 
The robe was very well received!  Big sister has put in a request for a robe for her birthday in about 6 weeks.;)

Happy 8th Birthday, Molly Grace!
 
 
If anyone is interested on the Easter sewing progress:
 
-BK's dress, Done
-P's shirt, Done
-my dress, Done
-K's dress, about 2/3 of the way done
-MG's dress, bodice and bodice lining are stitched and I'm ready to attach the skirt so perhaps 1/4 of the way done?
-K's shorts, one pair cut out
-swimsuits, we decided that K didn't need a new one right now but the little girls probably need at least one each.  I'm saving those for Wednesday/Thursday.
 
 

 



31 comments:

  1. Aww! Happiest of Birthdays to her!

    And I LOVE the dog pouch. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! She had a lovely birthday.:)

      Cindy

      Delete
  2. Looks like she had a wonderful birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did! Low stress for mom and fun for her.:)

      C

      Delete
  3. A super cute coin purse and a fabulous robe. The green check goes so well with the fun pink fabric, Cindy and MG looks so happy in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So very cute and she looks so excited!! Happy birthday, MG!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 8 years old already! Going out for dinner beats birthday parties any day. :-) And you are doing so well on your sewing goals. I am looking forward to doing some clothing sewing, hopefully starting next week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday MG - the robe looks great on you!

    Cindy, you have the option of making cupcakes for school? I'm so jealous. We aren't allowed to bring any homemade food.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet robe! I can tell from that photo that she absolutely loves it! Glad she got to enjoy her birthday at home and celebrate in school this year; sounds like you helped make it a very special day. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lauren! She slept in the robe and oh so carefully hung it up this morning.:)

      C

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. That was my thought too :-)

      Delete
    2. I, who have not had any baby urges in a long time, actually felt a little twinge as I was searching for a newborn photo of MG. :)

      Delete
  9. Happy birthday MG!
    Love the robe & the purse

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday! I understand about the parties; I'm sure you more than make up for it in sewing. The Feed the Animals-pouch is adorable, and so is the bathrobe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I adore the dog pouch and robe! Happy Birthday to your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy birthday to the 8 year old !!!
    It's so nice to see that handmade gifts are so well received ~ she looks so happy with them :)
    Sounds like you will be done with your Easter sewing before Easter, huh?
    I just got the Rollerskate dress in the mail today, the fabric for it (arrived yesterday from Sew, Mama, Sew!) is currently in the washing machine, looks like it should be a pretty quick & easy sewing project...
    Are you getting the Rollerskate pattern?
    Happy Tuesday !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm getting there, Rachel. K's dress needs to hemmed this morning and I need to finish MG's dress. Then there's swimsuits and short sleeved shirts that need to sewn in the next 36 hours. We'll see!

      K's dress is actually the Roller Skate pattern. I changed up how the elastic was done and the placement of it to make it look like a RTW dress she'd been eyeing. Hopefully, I'll have pictures up soon!

      C

      Delete
  13. Happy Birthday to her! I have a birthday right on top of Christmas so I can relate as a kid not being in school or always at home on your birthday. I'm sure the way you celebrated was perfect for her! (and I'm sure she was excited to share the neon frosting cupcakes too)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great way to kick off the birthday season! All the kids' birthday's are in spring so we still have 3 more to celebrate over the next 7 weeks.:) Those cupcakes...BK informed me yesterday to never buy them again as the dye in the frosting made her poop bright red.LOL

      Delete
  14. Birthday greeting to MG! She looks so happy, and how lovely that she got to celebrate in school too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Playmobil vet hospital, orange crush lip gloss and $5. That would have been my all-time favourite birthday present list at about that age too! Awesome. Happy birthday

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Birthday MG!
    She's so big, already! Where did time went?
    I just love the Ottobre robe pattern. Your version is just to cute :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. The puppy dog pouch is adorable

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Teri! She loves the little pouch and has been using it quite a bit to keep her treasures in it.:)

      C

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!