Monday, March 11, 2013

Good Friday Deadline

Follow my blog with Bloglovin
I've been slacking living life and didn't finish everything on my list from last week.  P's shirt was finished and he wore it to school on Tuesday only to end up coming home early because he was sick.  He really likes this rendition and requested I place the pocket on the bias too "...to tie in with the front, Mom."

Sketchbook Shirt
pattern:  Oliver + S Sketchbook Shirt
size: 12
fabric:  Cotton Shirting from Fabric Mart
mods:  6 inches (front & back) and 1 inch (sleeves) added to length
 
I did work on the rain coat.  The sleeves are in.  I need to sew the lining and put it all together. Perhaps today will be the day I finish it.  After all, there's rain in the forecast for tomorrow.;)
 
We kicked off the 2013 spring soccer season on Saturday. 

mg soccer
 
It's been about 2 years since we had a child playing soccer.  MG wanted to play in the fall but we were wrapped up in P's football at the time and I didn't think we could squeeze another activity in.  She's been enjoying it so far...much more than the last time when all she was concerned about was what snack they would be having. 
 
I have a list (finally!) for my Easter Sewing:

001
Continental Dress for moi out of Anna Maria Horner Loulouthis Clippings Sherry-Voile.  I'll need to wear a slip (which I do own) or line the dress like Nicole did. I have a light blue fabric I could use for the lining.  What do you think I should do?

004
Roller Skating Dress, view A for K out of  Valori Wells Cocoon Shine Aqua-Voile. K and I brainstormed on the design of this one and we'll be adding an elastic casing in orange for a pop of color.  I'll also be dropping the position of the elastic a bit. Hopefully, the pattern will arrive today!

A dress in royal blue linen for BK.  I have the dress cut out and plan on bringing it to my parents' house this afternoon to get a start on it. 

 
007
I'm not a 100% on this (taking in to consideration the time constraints) but I'm thinking of sewing a Fairy Tale Dress, view A for M out of this floral print.  I'm also not sure what color fabric to use for the waistband and collar.  Obviously, a light or dark pink would work but it'll be so...PINK.  Any Suggestions?

005
Short sleeved Sketchbook Shirt in Tula Pink's Salt Water Octo Garden in Aqua for P.  I originally bought this fabric to make tops for the little girls but the more I looked at it, I thought it would make a neat shirt for a boy.  I'm going out of mine and P's comfort zone but P's given his approval (albeit a bit grudgingly).

Other Sewing that needs to be done by Good Friday:

Swimsuits for the girls (at least one each)
shorts for K
short sleeved tops for the little girls
 
That's the list for March!



 


24 comments:

  1. I love that P helped in the design! I think a pink would work great with the fairy tale, if not what about white? I love a nice white anything. Your list all looks like such fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He wasn't too fond of the bias placket on the red shirt and later told me it was because it didn't tie in with the rest of the shirt. After looking at various button downs online, he decided that the pocket needed to be on the bias too.;) He's worn the 2 Sketchbook shirts I sewed more than his other RTW button down!

      C

      Delete
  2. You've got quite the list! I like the Sketchbook shirt. Do you think a green would work on the Fairytale Dress. To me it looks like there is green in the print.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've certainly got a lot of projects. I just LOVE the aqua fabric. Can't wait to see it made up. As for the FT dress, I found it rather time consuming so drink a lot of coffee so you can stay up late to sew!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the olive green that is hiding in that floral would be a great color for the contrast for the Fairy Tale.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - that's quite the list! I would line your dress...so much more comfortable than a slip :) Not as easy to sew though.
    My list from January wasn't so long and I don't think I've finished anything on it! A couple small things and progess on my quilt but nothing finished :p

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would line it! Pretty fabrics :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well you for sure will be keeping busy sewing until Good Friday! I'm loving all the bright and cheerful fabrics ~ perfect for spring & I see you are using high quality sewing patterns, so everything should turn out great!
    That octopus fabric is awesome, my 2nd son's favorite animal is the octopus, so that caught my eye.
    Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of your son and his shirt you made while I was debating what to do with the fabric.:) I think it'll be fun and perfect for summer!

      Cindy

      Delete
  8. I think I would lean toward lining the dress over a slip, but I still have toddlers around and do a whole bunch of bending and twisting- slips never end well!

    I think the octopus fabric is totally boy appropriate, I hope he likes it when it's all sewn up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's been a long time since I've owned a petticoat (slip). I'd go with lining as it will never show beneath the hem of the dress, as petticoats often seemed to do. I followed the link for the Fairy Tale dress and had to Google crinoline... I'm continually learning. Love the little tulip sleeves. Can you match the green to use as a contrast?

    ReplyDelete
  10. You all will look gorgeous on Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Definitely line it Cindy,it is so easy to do and lovely to wear.
    I adore the sound of K's dress,I can't wait to show the Twins. I think it will be stunning.
    Have you thought of green or a grey contrast? I loved a dress recently in the Flickr pool that had a flora paired with a gunmetal grey. Stunning!
    I love the choice for P's shirt,very surfer chic. You could even use a webbing under-placket like I used on Jed's shirt and tortoise shell buttons to 'man' it up if necessary.
    Good luck with all your lovely sewing.
    BTW,I love your new piccie up above. You look lovely.
    xx N

    ReplyDelete
  12. Goodness,I didn't mean to go on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok...I'll be lining my dress! I need to make a run to the fabric store for buttons for P's shirt and fabric for the accents on MG & K's dresses. I can't wait to jump into all this sewing.:) Thanks, doll!

      Cindy

      Delete
  13. Extremely ambitious plans you have here! I love it all, but I think my favorite is that octopus fabric, and I can't wait to see it made up into a boy's shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't wait to see your dress. That pattern is on my list too. I've got some fabricmart lawn waiting for it, but I like your's better.

    I'm with Nicole on the Fairytale. PInk would be easy but something else would make it really stand out from all the store bought easter dresses around this time of year.

    Ok...I love that fabric for the sketchbook shirt!! LOVE! I've been wanting to put Kenna in a Liberty print but don't think all 27lbs of him is ready to pull that off yet. Maybe I need to go check out this fabric line...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the blue lining. It would be a nice touch! Also, I should mention that I hate slips and will do anything to not wear one. *Anything.*

    That Roller Skating dress is going to be great. I can see it in my head and I can't wait to see the finished product. I love that you involve the wearer in the planning. I can't wait to do that!

    Opinion on the collar? White. Seriously! White! and if it needed *something,* edge it (either piping or narrow bias) in one of the dress colors. Maybe the green for something different, or the light pink for something that blends well.

    And P's shirt is going to be AWESOME. Sometimes, a leap of faith really can pay off, and I think this might be one of those times.

    As usual, I can't wait to see the finished products. I *really* love your eye for color and pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, Thanks! I'm hoping to get started on some of the tracing this afternoon and maybe even get a few projects cut out.:)

      Cindy

      Delete
  16. Line your dress! It will be gorgeous - that is one of my favourite fabrics.
    K's dress is going to be perfect - tempted to copy for Rosie.
    Love the fabric for P's shirt - it will have a very retro vibe
    For the fairy tale - I'd try to pick out the green for the sash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I *almost* bought the voile at least 5 times after seeing your dress and finally went for it! I love the latest Roller Skate you made...there are so many possible variations with that pattern.:)

      Cindy

      Delete
  17. Hi Cindy, You are such a busy woman and you got a lot things to do. Nice plan and good luck on your project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I picked up the last few notions I needed yesterday and I'm hoping to get a good start on all my projects today.;)

      Cindy

      Delete
  18. I'm glad you're "living life", hehe. I applaud you for making Easter clothes for your kids; it's a special memory they'll have. Since I haven't wanted the pressure, I haven't tried to make anything, but since I also don't "buy" dresses, Easter Sunday rolls around and they have only normal Sunday clothes to wear, hehe. But, hey, I'm busy living life!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!