Tuesday, April 23, 2013

KCW: Day 1: Another Smocking UFO Completed


 
I wasn't going to formally participate in Kid's Clothes Week this go around.  But then this past week I started to see more and more blog posts about people's plans and their excitement was too contagious to resist!
 
As far as my plans, they are very short.  Finish a blouse I started smocking last spring and make a baby gift for MG's teacher who is due in May. 
 
Day 1 saw the blouse completed!
 
 


Pattern:  Fancy Free Blouse, Australian Smocking & Embroidery Issue 96
Size:  5
Fabric:  Tula Pink Prince Charming Voile, Indigo
Mods:  Blocked the neckline wider than what the size 5 calls for, took in the side seams by about 2 inches

Last spring, I had my mom pleat the fabric so I could make a blouse for the little girls.  Like all my smocking projects, after doing a few rows my interest waned.  I had every intention of finishing the blouse in 2012 so the girls could wear it but...well, I moved on to other sewing.
 
At the start of 2013, I began bringing the project along with me to various practices and such where I knew I'd be sitting around waiting quite a bit.  A little more got done. 

On our trip to Florida, after I had finished stitching the belt on to MG's Fairy Tale Dress, I hunkered down and began working on the blouse in earnest.  The smocking was finally finished this past Sunday evening.  Hooray!


KCW Collage


The actual smocking is far from perfect.  I messed up my counts on the right side (left in the picture) and didn't realize it until after I had done several rows.  But I knew that if I went back and ripped out the mistakes, I'd never finish the top. 


 
MG called dibs on wearing the blouse first! 
 
 



22 comments:

  1. It sure looks great! Way to go on pushing through and getting it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooooh! I recognized that top, right off! You did a fabulous job! No one would know that your smocking was a bit off. Kudos to you for crossing off a UFO!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jenny! I had my eye on that blouse from the first time I saw it. I hunted for the same fabric but didn't have any luck tracking it down.:)

      C

      Delete
  3. It looks beautiful. I love the style and the fabric. I would love to try smocking but I think it is far above my patience level an skill level at this time. My motto is often finished is better than perfect. Though the blouse looks perfect to my eye.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks good! I can see how smocking projects would be a huge extended WIP risk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Having RA means doing a lot of hand work at one time isn't a good idea...but still, it shouldn't take me an entire year!lol

      Cindy

      Delete
  5. Wow, that is adorable! I know nothing about smocking but I love the look. It seems there would be a lot of work involved...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Uta! The actual smocking isn't too bad *at least the basic geometric designs--I have yet to master picture smocking* but it's definitely time consuming like most hand work.;)

      C

      Delete
  6. Adorable. I have this marked to make for my granddaughter as well. There is a piece of Liberty just calling to be made into this blouse. Beautiful job. I too have been known to repeat a "mistake" instead of ripping it all back out. If you hadn't told, no one would have known. Precious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely blouse. I've never done smocking, but it looks very effective. Nice design too

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations for finishing the top! It looks wonderful and I am glad that you mentioned taking it in the two inches. I will mark my copy. No one would know you made a mistake! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. After trying smocking not too long ago, I have a sense for how challenging it is. But this really was worth the effort! And MG looks so proud to be rocking it. LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm planning to do a little more over the summer...hopefully, I'll get it done in a timely fashion! Thanks, Lauren. MG really likes the top as does BK!

      Cindy

      Delete
  10. Lovely blouse :) I wnat to draft one of this kind of design :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have done such a lovely job! I was hopping around the rest of your blog and am really impressed!
    So nice to "meet" you.
    ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a professional looking blouse! you have such patience to do smocking, I would have never guessed that you messed up because I can't see anything.
    KCW is starting out a bit slow for me, you know life with 3 kids & illnesses... I am finishing up a project & hoping to be able to share it tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll keep my eye out for your project...I'm sure it's something wonderful and creative!;) I've definitely not been going all out during KCW like I have in previous times. Both the romper and this blouse were projects that just needed finishing up. Thanks!

      Delete
  13. LOVE everything about this blouse, Cindy!!! Gorgeous fabric, a great style and beautiful smocking to top it off. One day I'll attempt smocking.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I simply adore this Cindy.
    I know you are the Knit Queen but you do wovens just as beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nicole! That is very sweet of you to say.:)
      xx
      Cindy

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!