Monday, April 8, 2013

The Easter Clothing Extravaganza Round Up

I didn't mean to drop off the face of the Earth before sharing all about my Easter sewing. However, my procrastinating caught up to me and I was still plugging away at the sewing on Good Friday as we headed south on I-95.  I did finish the last bit that day, I'll have you know, so I did meet my deadline!

I chose to not take a laptop with me on vacation so there was no updating the blog or sharing "real" pictures of the clothes until we got back.  If you happen to be on Instagram, you might have gotten a peek of the clothes there, albeit a grainy one due to my ancient iPhone 3.;)

Here's the real deal...
 
Well, kind of as the poor kids were staring right into the sun and I didn't realize it until I uploaded the pictures to my desk top. oops!

Sugar City Village Frock on BK
in a
blue linen/rayon blend
 
Easter2013 BK1
 
 I love this shade of blue on BK!

 Oliver + S Sketchbook Shirt
in
Tula Pink Octo Garden
 
Easter2013 P-1
 
Let me tell you, P was not real thrilled to be posing for pictures.  He likes the shirt well enough but standing outside and having your mom direct how you're standing and taking a ton of pictures is a form of torture for him.  Only the promise of some Easter candy when he was finished kept him outside!
 
Oliver + S Fairy Tale Dress, size 6
 
 
I had put off sewing this one until last and then was still hand sewing the lining to the zipper and the belt to the dress as we were driving to Florida.  In fact, right before we crossed into Georgia I sewed the last stitch on the belt.;)
 
I wasn't real excited by this dress...until it was completed.  Then I fell in LOVE!  It's everything a girl's party dress should be.


 
And yes, there are modeled pictures of my dress.  Am I the only one who feels hopelessly awkward in front of the camera?  This was K's first time using my new DSLR so I was a little nervous about the safety of the camera too.
 
Lisette Continental Dress
in
AMH Loulouthi Voile, Clippings in Sherry
(I chose this fabric after seeing this gorgeous dress of Justine's)
 
This is about as short as I like my dresses/skirts.  I ended up doing a very narrow hem to preserve as much of the length as I could.  Next time (oh yes, there will be a next time!) I'll add a couple of inches to the overall length. 
 
 
Dear, dear K had a rough time of it during the first round of pictures.  Her eyes are very sensitive and the light was too much for her to handle.  So we redid her pictures that evening by the lake...
 
 
pattern:  Oliver + S Roller Skate Dress
size: 12
fabric:  Valori Wells voile Cocoon Shine Aqua from Pink Chalk Fabrics
mods: 
  • K is tall (5' 7") so I added 5 1/2 inches to the the length approximately 6" down from the side notch.  The dress is A-line so I had to fudge the side seams a bit where I added in the extra length.
  • Instead of using the lining and the main dress fabric to create a casing for the elastic, I did a contrast one.  The finished orange casing is 1 1/4 inches wide.  I also used a wider elastic than what the pattern calls for (1").
  • After the dress was sewn together, I had K try it on to mark where I thought the casing would look most flattering.  I ended up placing it 6 inches down from the under arm of the dress.
 
 
 I was looking to create a look similar to the Roxy Back to Back dress ...
 
Easter 2013 collage
 
 
What does K think?
 
 
Easter2013 KKK
 
Hope everyone had a Happy Easter! 
  

linking up to:
Photobucket

125
 photo blogbutton_zpsb1fa0f6d.jpg
Photobucket Threading My Way  

30 comments:

  1. Wow, you are amazing and your kids are so lucky. I had easter dresses planned too but wimped out:) love the dress on you too btw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been SO busy! Amazing that you got any packing done before the trip. All the dresses are amazing and P's shirt is fab. Well done Cindy! (but... did hubby get anything new?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily, as the kids have grown older there's less stuff that has to be packed. And packing for FL is especially easy...church clothes for Sunday, swimsuits/beach towels, shorts and tees, hoodies for cool evenings, and toiletries. I don't miss packing diapers, sippy cups, portable high chairs, pack n plays, and the various other baby/toddler supplies that are needed!

      And no, poor John didn't get anything new.:) I'm considering purchasing the Colette men's shirt pattern for him...perhaps a new shirt for our wedding anniversary in June? We'll see...

      Thanks, Katy!

      C

      Delete
  3. Everything looks so good, Cindy! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. GREAT JOB!! Loved following your travels via instagram...... the dresses {and shirt} are ALL fabulous. You are such an overachiever, no matter when you sewed the last stitch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! A burned out overachiever at that.;) I still need to write up our shenanigans for my travel blog...

      Cindy

      Delete
  5. Everything turned out so nice! That is a big chunk of sewing! Good for you for leaving the laptop behind, sometimes a break from screens is nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all of the looks, especially the boy's shirt - great print. I enjoy looking at your wonderful creations. Thank you for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lynn.:) I'm lucky in that the older kids will still let me sew for them.

      Cindy

      Delete
  7. Everything turned out beautifully, Cindy, and I love that you included your own "model shot" in the mix. It looks lovely on you. My eye was particularly drawn to the Fairy Tale Dress...and would totally rock that in my size now as an adult. Also, the photo of K jumping with glee at the end is priceless.

    After meeting you and K in person last week, I feel all the more connected to you and your creations here at Siestas and Sewing. Thanks for being willing to make the drive to meet up! Such a treat for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lauren, Thank you! All that sewing was a definite labor of love in the weeks leading up to Easter.

      It was great getting to meet up with you last Tuesday...I hope we can do it again next year!

      Cindy

      Delete
  8. I love all your Easter sewing, Cindy - all such perfectly well matched choices. Love your dress (well, it is my fav fabric!), but think that MG's is my favourite of them all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Justine! MG's dress is my fave too.;)

      C

      Delete
  9. Wow! Spectacular outfits! Did you get a group shot as well? I understand about the photos of oneself... I avoid the hassle whenever I can, even though it's so much better to see garments on the person rather than the hanger. You look great though, the dress turned out beautiful - not too short at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The group shot...let's just say that not one of the pictures I took of all 4 together is fit to be shown. They were either squinting, making faces, or turning their back on the camera.lol I try my best to show modeled pictures as I know how frustrating it can be trying to gauge how a garment fits when it's lying flat or on a hanger. Thanks, Uta!

      Delete
  10. You did an amazing job and they all look great. I LOVE your dress, Cindy!!! The style really suits you. And yes, I feel totally awkward in front of the camera. The fairy tale dress is so pretty... the style plus the contrasting green.. perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am always so impressed not only by the quality of your sewing, but also by the quantity! wow. do you ever sleep?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Teri! Plenty of sleep...I'm just fortunate that I have half a day with no kids at home during the school year to work on projects like this.:)

      C

      Delete
  12. They are all so wonderful - the children and the clothes. The shirt and dresses are beautiful, but it's your dress that really caught my eye! The fabric is perfect and it really suits you - the pose does not look awkward at all - and the length looks great on you. I'm glad you got to sew for yourself too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You know, I haven't bought a new dress is a couple of years...all the new ones are dresses I've sewn.;)

      Delete
  13. Just wonderful! The kids look great in their Easter clothes and so do you! I am the same height as you so a few more inches into the continental dress for me too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really should have double checked before cutting the dress out...

      Delete
  14. You all look fabulous in your new clothes! They all fit perfectly. The children are looking more grown up... Childhood goes by way too fast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen! Yes, the kids have certainly grown...it seems like yesterday that K and P were the age of MG and BK.:(

      Delete
  15. OMG!
    I can't even pick a favorite! Every outfit is so exquisite and perfectly stitched!
    I wish the village frock was still available for purchase! It makes such a great dress.
    On a side note: I had just completed a sleveless fairy tale dress for my girl this week and after seeing your version, I just went back and added the sleeves (love them). Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ana Sofia! I can't wait to see your Fairy Tale dress, I'm sure it's divine.:)

      Cindy

      Delete
  16. Wow, you've been busy! Beautiful sewing, just beautiful. Happy spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Liesl! Having great patterns to work with (wink, wink) make the sewing easy to do.:)

      Cindy

      Delete
  17. Glad to see this Roller Skate "Flip" show up on "Flip this Pattern". The contrasting band is fantastic.....and the joy on K's face is just priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I do love this dress! The colors are great together and it fits her so well. I think it's a perfect teen dress.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!