Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Heat Wave

 
Ola de Calor
 
Pattern:  "Ola de Calor" (heat wave) Sundress, Ottobre Design 03/13
Size:  146 width, 170 length
Fabric:  Black/White Polka Dots cotton/lycra jersey that I think originally came from The Fabric Fairy, various cotton knits for the binding, belt, belt loops
Mods:  I ended up cutting little wedges off of the front ends before putting the armhole/strap binding on so that the front would lay flat on K's chest. 
 
 
"Ola de Calor"
 
 
K has pretty much outgrown all her summer dresses with the exception of the Roller Skate dress I sewed her for Easter.  With the school year winding down and several "dress up" events coming (award ceremonies, 8th grade graduation), I've been called to duty.  I have absolutely no problems buying dresses for K but her proportions (tall and lean) make dress shopping a nightmare.  And I hate to purchase a dress, only to have to alter it to fit her.  So much easier to sew a dress!
 
 
"Ola de Calor"
 
I've been working real hard at using fabrics from my stash.  When I came across this polka dot knit while cleaning up recently, it looked like the perfect fabric for a fun, youthful dress.  K chose the colors for the binding and belt loops.
 
She put the new dress to use tonight for her Spring Sports Banquet... 

 
"Ola de Calor"
Shrug is RTW and the heels are mine;)
 
OD summer5  
 K accepting her pin to place on the Letter she received the first year she ran track
 
I might be a little biased but I think she was the best dressed young lady there!
 
 
"Ola de Calor"
 
 

 
 

 
 
 
Linking up to:


  125

25 comments:

  1. Stunning.
    Her warmth and loveliness just bursts from her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) So sweet of you to say, Nicole!

      Delete
  2. Love this - suits so her perfectly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's definitely her style...fun and casual.;)

      Cindy

      Delete
  3. Of course she was the best dressed (: The dress is a nice combination of cute and dressy. I like the black and white with the bright green binding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Absolutely! I was leaning towards blue but I do have to admit that the green works really well.

      C

      Delete
  4. Wow! Perfect dress, the little bits of neon colour really make it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it, Cindy!!! A great little outfit that can be dressed up or down. The binding and belt loop colours work SO well... good choice, K!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Cindy, this dress is perfect on her! She looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Katy! I was finishing the dress right up to the moment we got in the car to head to the banquet.;)

      Delete
  7. I'll bet she was the best dressed at the Sports Banquet. She looks terrific! And I think you should have got a "pin" too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cindy- the dress is gorgeous as is the girl! Well done on both!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's wonderful! The binding and loops make it really fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. VERY nice, Cindy! She looks beautiful and you did a great job on the dress.

    ReplyDelete
  11. She is gorgeous...the dress is fantastic! Perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  12. She's so nice & tall & slender ~ such a lucky girl to have a mom who can sew her custom clothing. The dress fits perfect & totally age appropriate, she's so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely easier to sew for her than to find RTW clothes that fit properly. Thanks, Rachel!

      Delete
  13. K looks just lovely in her Banquet Dress! You did a great job with the fit and the combination of youth appeal and age appropriateness. Bravo! I really can't get over how grown-up she is looking!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Man you do such a great job sewing for your kids - it's easy to see K would probably get frustrated trying to find perfectly fitting clothes at the store, but you are making this time in her life where she's so tall and skinny a lot more bearable, I'd say! Good mama. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cindy she looks gorgeous - age appropriate, young, fresh and fun - perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You nailed it with this dress - the perfect dress for a teenager, and the pops of neon are inspired. She's a natural in front of the camera, you must be very proud of her :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. adorable! so age appropriate, which is hard to do at that age. Lovely girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Teri! I'm happy that K still lets me sew for her and I love it when we collaborate on clothing together.:)

      Delete
  18. She is so cute! I mean, does it get much cuter than polka dots? And I love that she was rocking your heels. Such a lady....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!