Monday, June 3, 2013

A Little Bit of This and That

This is a catch up post of sorts for a couple of projects that I was working on over the last 2 weeks.

baby shower gift

pattern:  Ottobre Design 04/05 #9, Hooded Baby Towel
fabric:  Terry cloth left over from K's robe, quilting cotton left over from a 2+2 blouse
mods:  I didn't make the towel 2 layers, left off the ears, and used binding around the outside edge

This was a baby shower gift for our nephew and his wife who are expecting their first baby the end of July.  I really like the size of this towel.  It should still work through the toddler years!  I took the leftover, leftover terry cloth and cut them into rectangles and finished them with a rolled hem on my mom's serger to make matching washcloths.  And of course, we included a book.:)


stella skirt
Pattern:  Stella Skirt from Compagnie M.
size:  6
fabric:  Polka Dot quilting cotton from Joann Fabrics (it's the coordinate to the flowered print I used for the Woven Tee Tutorial)
 
Marte, who blogs at Compangie M., has several free pdf patterns.  I saw the Stella Skirt at a link party and had to give it a try.  Like Ottobre Design and several other European pattern designs, you have to add seam allowances and a hem allowance.  There are 4 pattern pieces, the waistband (which you cut 4 of for the front and back plus facings), back of the skirt, gathered front panel, and small front panel.  The skirt closes on the side with an invisible zipper. 
 
The only thing different I did was to finish the hem with rolled hem as I started to worry that I hadn't added enough of a hem allowance.  The 6 turned out to be a little too wide in the waist on BK so I ended up taking in the waistband about an inch. It was an easy fix.:) 
 
 
stella skirt

I'm going to busy the rest of this week working on more dresses for K.  What are you working on?


13 comments:

  1. Just finished a vintage sunsuit, and have another baby bubble in the works for CL. *dont forget to enter that skirt in crafterhours skirt week competition! It's cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I had forgotten all about the skirt week bit...I entered my skirt as soon as I read your comment.;)

      C

      Delete
  2. That is a cute skirt - love the polka dots. Can't wait to see K's dresses

    Me - finished my Chardon skirt yesterday, and now have cut a pair of pj pants and a cord skirt for me, and traced the smallest Chardon skirt for Rosie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to seeing the dresses you sew for K :-) The baby gifts and skirt are sweet. I'm sewing men's shirts, the collar of one has been sewn on wrong way round 3 times, so I'll try again tomorrow ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the hooded towels. I just searched ebay for a copy of the magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI Cindy! Nice to see my Stella Skirt pattern here on your blog! I really love your version soooo much! Is your daughter rather thin for her age or do you think I should adjust the pattern a little bit!? You can always add an adjustable elastic at the back of a skirt like this. Then your girl can enjoy her clothes longer. That's what I always do. Thanks again! M

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely Cindy.
    Your photos are so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nicole! I'm finally getting the hang of the new camera.:)

      C

      Delete
  7. Love the skirt, and echoing Nicole on your photos! I've just been looking at ribbing on the Kitschy Coo website - thinking it would be perfect for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The skirt is all woven...I used the orange fabric left over from K's Roller Skate casing for the waistband. But it would be cute using ribbing or cotton lycra for the waistband!

      C

      Delete
  8. The fabric on that skirt is T.D.F. (just made up my own text talk: can you guess what it means?). ;-) And that terrycloth looks so snuggly, I want to jump through my screen and snuggle up in it. Fantastic!

    Since you asked, I have a t-shirt project using heat transfer vinyl to work on for my nephew's birthday...and a scrapbook project for a friend. So, yes, my living room is a mess of craft supplies, just the way I like it. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much for introducing me to the Stella skirt, it looks like a good one & what a bonus that it's free!
    I'm working on a Belgian style dress. Sewing is majorly going to slow down over the summer... last day of school is Friday...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!