Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Flips, Shorts, and Tests

Flip This Pattern
 
The June Link Party for your flip of the Elegance & Elephants Bubble Shorts is now open!  If you have sewn the pattern in the last 6 months be sure to enter.  The winner of the sewalong portion will receive the newest E&E pattern, a $20 gift certificate to Fabricworm, and a mystery box (fabric & supplies) from E&E patterns.:)
 
 
shorts on the line button
 
And in other news, Carla and Rachael are back with another Shorts on the Line sewalong.  I can't wait!
 
I've covered Flips and Shorts, now for the Tests!
 
Last week I had an email from Amanda at Kitschy Coo asking if I would be interested in testing the adult version of her ever popular Skater Dress.  Um, Heck Yeah! 
 
I sewed up 2 different dresses...one for me and one for K.  We proceeded to have a lot of fun goofing off in front of the paparazzo (P)...

 
Kitschy Coo big girl skater dress

 
078
 The paparazzo lurking behind a tree...

 
adult skater dress me and K
Run, K!  Don't let him take a picture!
 
 
adult skater dress k4

K's dress is the smallest size, a size 1.  I cut the length of the skirt at the largest size since both K and I are taller than Amanda.  It's a lot easier to take off length than add it back on! The fabric is a Chez Ami cotton/lycra. 
 
adult skater dress K, back
 

adult skater dress C1

My dress is the size 4.  I did the same thing with the skirt length (cut it at the length of the largest size).  I still have a couple of inches on K so my skirt is a little shorter.  I wasn't ready to commit to cutting into my "good" fabric so I used a regular cotton jersey with less than the recommended stretch.  (Sorry, Amanda!) The dress is definitely nicer when you use a stretchy knit as you get that negative ease thing going on.  But I still like my dress!

 
adult skater dress C2
 
A couple of quick notes:  I haven't hemmed the dresses yet. I was in a hurry to get pictures while we still had some light.  I plan on shortening K's a little. Also, the pattern has lengthen lines on both the bodice and skirt for those of you that are even taller than me! 
 
I really love this style of dress.  It's comfy, casual, yet looks nicer than my usual shorts and t-shirt that I wear during the summer.  I'm thinking that my new summer "uniform" is going to be this dress! 
 
eta:  The Lady Skater is now available!  Head on over to the Kitschy Coo pattern shop and get one of your own!
 
 
adult skater dress jump


21 comments:

  1. Love the patterns of you and K! Both of your dresses are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You two are too cute for words. Those are great dresses. I can't wait to make myself one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Got to love a dress that's comfy to wear and flattering.:)

      C

      Delete
  3. Ooh I've been watching the progression of this pattern. Looks good on you ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous! I really love the dresses (and the paparazzo scene sounds like a lot of fun!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ana Sofia! K and I have a lot of fun together.:)

      C

      Delete
  5. Beautiful dresses on both of you! I especially like the color of K's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a pretty blue, isn't it?:) Thank you, Brittney!

      Delete
  6. Ooh, those dresses look SO comfortable!!! Great job! *and thank you for the "Flip this Pattern" shout-out.....very excited to be kicking it off today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the least I can do! I'm looking forward to seeing what creative "flips" come about!

      C

      Delete
  7. Both dresses look great! So comfy! I love the pic of you and K laughing - awesome Mom award :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You both look fantastic. I agree that would be a great summer staple.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They both look great! Thanks so much for testing and for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love these! They look like the perfect summer dresses!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You both look great in your new dresses, Cindy!!! Fabulous fun photos and a beautiful photo of K leaning against the railing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely photos and lovely dresses! Looking forward to seeing more of them over the summer...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love seeing you and your daughter side by side in this dress!
    Beautiful.
    ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!