Friday, June 21, 2013

Hula Hoop Shorts

 
It's summertime and what do we wear?  Shorts! 
 
Poor BK has only a few pairs that fit her so when I was asked by Carla if I would be interested in posting as part of the Shorts On The Line series that she and Rachael host, it was a no brainer.
 

 
Pattern:  Ottobre Design Summer 2012 #26 "Hula Hoop Bubble Shorts"
size: 110
fabric:  Lisette Twill (spring 2011) for the shorts and a quilting cotton for the belt, both from Jo-ann Fabrics originally but have been languishing in my stash;)
mods:  Added a fabric belt
 
047edited
 
I love the shape of these shorts!  They are reminiscent of a favorite pattern of mine (Oliver + S Puppet Show) that BK outgrew a couple of years ago. 
 
 
013edited
 
 
The Hula Hoop shorts have an elastic waistband, belt loops, mock fly, 2 pleats on each side of the front, side pockets with elastic at the top, and elastic casings at the hems.  I'll probably go back and loosen the elastic around the legs as they are a little snug on my muscular little girl. 
 
 
036edited
 
 
 
040edited
 
 
All in all, I really like them as does BK.  I'll be sewing this pattern up again...perhaps in some hot pink Lisette twill I've been hoarding!


082edited
 
 
 
This post is part of shorts on the line sewalong hosted by imagine gnats and small + friendly, sponsored by Jo-Ann, Pretty Prudent/Pellon®, and Hawthorne Threads.
 
And don't forget to check out the rest of the guest posts for plenty of shorts inspiration:

  


29 comments:

  1. Oh, these are seriously cute, Cindy - very puppet show. Need to go check this issue out - wonder if they would fit Rosie.... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Justine! This pattern is in the 92-122 size range.:)

      C

      Delete
  2. i agree... seriously cute! the elastic legs have an added advantage of modesty for an active little girl... if you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Teri! And yes, I know exactly what you mean.:) BK is very active and there will definitely be no panties showing while she's wearing these shorts.

      C

      Delete
  3. Such a cute pattern and the fit looks perfect. I love the green you used too. I wonder if I've got that Ottobre issue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love the green! Never sewn Ottobre but am curious about them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those ARE cute....and very similar to the O+S puppet show shorts! Love the solid, with a little pop of "FUN" color....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was so sad when the girls outgrew the puppet show shorts pattern...it's one of my faves. These will do nicely though!

      C

      Delete
  6. Now I wish DD wore shorts... Seriously adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Uta! I'm sure they'll get a lot of wear this summer.:)

      C

      Delete
  7. I'm in love with these shorts! I love everything you make, you're so talented!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amy! You're so sweet.:)

      C

      Delete
    2. Amy, I couldn't have said it better myself! And I'm not sure what I love more: the green color, the polka-dotted tie, or the amazing cut of these shorts. Oh, and I did I mention the awesome gal who made them? She is on the love list, too!

      Warmly,
      Lauren
      The Thinking Closet

      Delete
  8. Fun! I like the green. The elastic at the leg is smart design for busy kids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really like clear, bold colors like this for the little girls.:)

      C

      Delete
  9. These are so sweet!

    Do you think they are a bit low-waisted? These are up on my list after swimsuits...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks very professional. I love the nice bright colour with the your addition of the belt too! Just gorgeous! (so is your little model)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love to use bold colors for the little girls clothes.:)

      Cindy

      Delete
  11. Love the pockets on the side. They add a lovely touch without dominating the shorts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love these shorts and thanks for posting the pattern issue. They're a great colour the belt is perfect - it looks like a Patty Young fabric?

    ReplyDelete
  13. What gorgeous shorts! I love everything about them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are so adorable! And the fit is perfect! Thanks so much for sewing along!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are so adorable! And the fit is perfect! Thanks so much for sewing along!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I must have missed this post! These shorts are adorable! Love the multicolored fabric belt and that the pockets don't poof out too much. Fun color, too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love these so much! Abby does too:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brittney! I wish these came in even bigger sizes...BK will probably out grow this pattern next summer. Oh well!

      C

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!