Thursday, June 6, 2013

Summer Maxi Dress

K had found a striped gauze fabric in my mom's stash some time ago and promptly claimed it for a maxi dress.  With several end-of-year school functions that require her to dress nicely coming up, it was time to get busy!

maxi dress square

Pattern:  Little Lisette (Simplicity) 1893 for the dress and Ottobre Design 02/2002 #13 for the shrug
Size:  dress, 12 
         shrug, 146
Fabric:  dress, a cotton blend (perhaps rayon?) gauze
            shrug, cotton interlock
mods:  dress, lengthened the skirt portion and scooped the neckline in the front 
           shrug,  cropped the sleeves


Little Lisette Maxi Dress
 
The skirt portion is not only longer but a few inches narrower.  My fabric wasn't wide enough to keep the width.  When it came time to lengthen the pattern, I looked everywhere trying to figure out the formula for a maxi skirt.  When I finally found one that made perfect sense to me, I still didn't have enough fabric.  With my mom on hand to help, I made it up as I went along.
 
I did not cut the straps on the bias as I didn't want them to stretch out.  The straps were fine in length until I attached the skirt to the bodice.  I ended up cutting 2 inches off the straps to maintain a proper fitting bodice.

 
maxi dress
 
 
The gauze was a major pain in the butt to work with. It slipped and slid around when I was cutting the dress out. And then when I was sewing it, the gauze had a tendency to stretch out. I was never so glad to be finished with a sewing project!  That said, I do love how the finished dress looks.  The pain-in-the-butt gauze makes for a lovely, flowy dress.:)


maxi dress 1


Per the school's dress code, strapless or spaghetti strap dresses require some kind of jacket/covering over them.  I turned to my trusty Ottobre magazines, and found a shrug from the summer 2002 issue.  Only problem...that issue is in German!

Luckily, the pattern is very straight forward.  The only thing that I wasn't sure on was what kind of fabric they used for the facing.  I used single fold white bias tape. 


Summer Maxi Dress and Shrug
 

K went off to school today in her new outfit, a little resistant because she had been texting back and forth with her friends this morning and "no one else is dressing up today".  Unbeknownst to her, she'll be receiving the President's Award for Educational Excellence this afternoon.  I can't wait to see the reaction on her face when she realizes why I insisted she dress up!




31 comments:

  1. congratulations to Kayleen!!! You must be so proud of her. The dress is gorgeous and she is gorgeous in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely dress! Congrats Kayleen!! I think mom should get a President's Award for Sewing Excellence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! I love that dress!! And I so want her shrug:) Congrats K!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) She has 2 RTW ones that are gray and black but I knew a white one would look better! Thank you.

      Delete
  4. I love this dress. It's so pretty on her. I found you over at Make it, Wear it and I'd love to see you over at my new link party http://www.amouseinmykitchen.com/2013/06/pin-it-proudly-link-party.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Markell! I'll check out your new link party when I get a chance.:)

      Cindy

      Delete
  5. Congrats to her! and congrats to mom for getting this project done :) The shifting when you're trying to cut is the worst for me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on the award! What a perfect dress to receive it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Uta! She has worked very hard since starting middle school and it was so nice to see her rewarded.:)

      Cindy

      Delete
  7. So very exciting! She looks beautiful, Cindy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a beautiful dress and daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations Kayleen!
    You must be so proud Cindy - such a beautiful (and bright) young lady :-)
    Can't wait to read more ...
    The dress is lovely (looks perfect on her slender figure) and the shrug is the perfect match!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ana Sofia! Kayleen is a very determined young lady and really works hard at school. I don't ever have to get after her to do homework/projects and she always puts forth her best effort. I hope this attitude carries over to high school!

      C

      Delete
  10. Wow well done K! You both must be so proud of her.
    Gorgeous dress as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am! She's really come into her own over the last year...she has a very bright future ahead of her.:)

      C

      Delete
  11. Gorgeous fabric, Cindy, both the colours and the way it falls. The dress is lovely and the white shrug tops off the outfit well. Congrats to K!!! Is gauze similar at all to cheesecloth?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I once made a dress with gauze fabric, and I can understand your frustration. This dress is beautiful on your daughter. It's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Replies
    1. :) Now if only someone would invent gauze that is as easy to sew as it is to wear. Perhaps double gauze is that fabric?

      Delete
  14. Congratulations K, how very proud you must be Cindy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am, I am! As sad as it is to see them growing up and not being our babies anymore, it's exciting to see them come into their own.:)

      C

      Delete
  15. Well, congratulations to her! Gorgeous dress and the shrug is perfect with it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations! What a lovely reason to wear a special dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Every special occasion deserves a new dress...especially if you have a sewing mom! Thanks.

      C

      Delete
  17. Congrats, K! What an awesome honor....so glad mom had you looking sharp for the big day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I'm so very proud of her! And can I say again, that I think she was the best dressed?;)lol

      Delete
  18. The dress looks stunning on your gorgeous model :) Well done :) The jacket looks great, too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! She really likes the dress and hopefully, she'll get a lot of wear out of it this summer.:)

      Delete
  19. Congratulations! That makes the dress even more special :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. K looks like such a lady in these pics! That dress suits her well. (Such a fun, beachy print.) And many congrats on her accomplishments!

    Warmly,
    Lauren
    The Thinking Closet

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!