Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Summertime Staple

Sketchbook Shorts
 
 
This girl cracks me up!  She's been attending VBS at her Aunt's church this week with her sisters (K is a helper).  Aunt S has been picking the girls up around 6:30 am on her way to the church (she's the children's ministry director so she needs to be there early to set things up for the day).  I grabbed BK before Aunt S arrived so I could grab some quick pictures of the shorts.  Such personality so early in the morning!

 
Sketchbook Shorts
 
size:  5
fabric:  stretch denim
mods:  divided the waistband into 3 sections (1 back, 2 fronts) so that the fly "opens", velcro closure, button hole elastic in the back, shortened the shorts, stitched the front pleats down, topstitched the crotch seams and side seams
 
I wasn't able to get a closeup of the velcro closure but it's basically the same as this pair of shorts.
 
007edited  
 
One of these days I'll remember to draft some pockets to put on the back.  For some reason, I don't think about it until the shorts are finished!
 
Unlike the green pair of shorts I made for the Shorts on the Line guest post, this pair will go with all of BK's tops.  A pair of neutral shorts is a summertime must have!
 
 
 


22 comments:

  1. adorable! I hav e this pattern but have only made the shirt so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These shorts fit BK perfectly and will be sure to get lots of wear this summer. It's nice to have a pair of shorts that will go with everything. A couple of other good wardrobe staple colors for bottoms is khaki or beige. Those two are as close as I get to brown in my closet! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just thinking about these shorts for girls today. This post is perfect timing! I like them a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mcholley1 on flickr has done some fun girly Sketchbook shorts. My favorite is the khaki pair she added cuffs and a paperbag waist too.;) Thanks, Katy!

      Delete
  4. These are great - may copy, I think....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go right ahead! They are a good basic.:)

      C

      Delete
  5. I agree with you - plus basic pieces make "mornings" a lot more easier (at least around here)!
    I do need to make ones for my girl (it would be great if I did manage to do it before the summer ends. I just need to convince myself that she already has enough dresses to get her through fall, lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! The little girls don't care what tops and bottoms technically go together and will wear any combination. I let a lot slide but when there are blatant clashing colors, it drives me nuts!;)

      C

      Delete
  6. Great fit! Always nice to have a few staples in the drawer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hehe, silly girl! Gotta love those basics.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh! I love this pattern, so it's really fun to see it on a "big kid"! I love the velcro fly idea ... might have to steal it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's handy closure to use and quick to sew. I copied the idea from a pair of RTW shorts that she used to have.;)

      Delete
  9. Gorgeous girlie and fab shorts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 6.30am -that's early! Great shorts and I love how you modified them :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the shorts and her expression! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They've been worn several times already.:)

      Delete
  12. Adorable shorts and girl! Love me some staples too:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maybe not as exciting to sew, but indeed needed!

    C

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the color of that denim! And BK's huge smile! And I recently was feeling that need for more "staples" in my capris department. There are only so many wild tops you can buy before you realize that you need more than one pair of jean capris to wear them with. But that's a rant for another day. ;-)

    Warmly,
    Lauren
    The Thinking Closet

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!