Friday, July 5, 2013

Geranium Dress for the Older Girls

Have you heard?  Made By Rae has released the Geranium Dress pattern in larger sizes!  *applause*

Thanks to a head's up from Brittney, I was able to test the "big girl" version.  If you have a moment, check out all the Geranium goodness on her blog.  She's made several smart versions of the larger size pattern and there's a ton of darling dresses and tops in the smaller size range. 


big girl geranium, new bodice
This was taken before buttons and hemming but shows the bodice the clearest
size:  12
mods:  I took in the front neckline by 1 cm, the back neckline by 1 cm tapering to the original neckline 2" from the center back, added darts front and back, and I had to redraw the front cut out because of where I took in the front neckline
 
notes: The final pattern's neckline has been adjusted since the tester version.

Here's what the original tester version looked like on K:
 
Big Girl Geranium Tester
 
Even though her chest and waist measurements fit the size 12, K is over 10" taller than the height measurement.  At her recent physical, she was 5' 8" and 103 pounds.  Tall and very lean!  And being that she is 14 years old, she does have some curves.  Adding darts and length to the bodice, made the dress more flattering to K's shape. 

K had picked the fabric out when we visited Hobby Lobby with Lauren of The Thinking Closet while we were in Florida.  I didn't have enough of the fabric left over from the tester version to re-cut the bodice...and we don't have Hobby Lobby where we live.  When I emailed Lauren to see if she could send us some more of this print (she was more than willing), she let me know that Hobby Lobby now has online shopping.  Hooray!
 
 
Geranium Dress, size 12
 
 
Geranium Dress, Size 12
 
 Adding length to the bodice (2 inches) meant that I needed another button hole and I did not have anymore of the blue buttons.
 
020  
 
Both K and I agree that the pink whale is an excellent design decision.  A little whimsy never hurt anyone.:)
 
 
Sandpiper girls group court
 
 
Sandpiper back 1
 

Now that I've wrapped up a bunch of woven sewing, it's time to change the needle in the sewing machine and tackle some much needed swimsuits.  What projects are you working on?




25 comments:

  1. Cindy, you have done an amazing job in altering the pattern to fit!!! The finished version is so flattering and really suits K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful dress. It looks lovely on your beautiful girl. I can't wait to read about the swimsuits. My son wants me to make him a dinosaur swimsuit. I think it is above my skill level but maybe someday. He is getting a dinosaur softie instead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your girls are so sweet together. How great she's expanding pattern sizes, this dress is well suited to the older crowd too! Love K's fabric choice and the your altered fit is spot on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love that Rae has patterns that carry over to the tween/early teen sizes as it definitely gets more challenging to find patterns that work.

      Cindy

      Delete
  4. It's lovely! I have a tween girl & it's getting more and more difficult to find patterns for her that are trendy enough to suit her, but not too grown up or revealing. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy! It has been more challenging as she gets older to find suitable patterns. I'm glad that this one worked for her!

      Cindy

      Delete
  5. Your big girl Geranium is wonderful! You did such a good job altering it. I love that next-to-last photo!
    -Jenny Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny Jo! After I took individual pictures the girls started dictating poses they wanted to do of the 3 of them together. I got several (including the last 2) that make my heart melt!

      Cindy

      Delete
  6. What a pretty dress for a lovely young woman! My goodness, she's 5'8"! Four inches taller than me at my full grown height! EEK!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so lovely on her, Cindy - love the fitted shape of the bodice.
    5'8" makes her 4" taller than me too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect for an older girl! The colrs and the shape of the dress really look lovely on her. I love that photo too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful job with the bodice fitting. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's amazing how a little change can make such a big difference in fit.:)

      C

      Delete
  10. what a difference it made with the changes you did!
    that last photo is so nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I love your version - looks perfect on K!
    This pattern makes a great dress for older girls (Already on my list. Soon).
    (Ps. Your girls are so beautiful - they always look so sweet together)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ana Sofia.:) I was so excited that Rae extended the sizing on the pattern as my younger girls are too big for the smaller size range.

      Delete
  12. Love that last photo! So very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the alterations you made, it suits her so much. And as I said already, I love the fabric! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brittney! It is a cute print.:)

      Delete
  14. Really pretty! The neckline shape is great and the changes you made turned out very well.

    Does she have trouble finding RTW to fit, given her dimensions?

    ReplyDelete
  15. you do a nice job with all of the children's clothing. However, i am most impressed with the preteen clothing. that's a tough age group. you find that nice balance between grown up, but not too grown up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Teri! That's quite a compliment.:)

      Delete
  16. This looks gorgeous as always Cindy - love the shot of the three girls together - very sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The pink whale detail is my favorite part! And what a lovely photo of your three girls. Such a sweet and smiley (and photogenic) bunch. I guess the apple doesn't fall far....

    Warmly,
    Lauren
    The Thinking Closet

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!