Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Sandpiper "Shorts" and Top(s)

 
Sandpiper "Shorts"
 
Sandpiper Top
 
Size:  6
Fabric: 
  Capris/Shorts:  Distressed Twill from Vogue Fabrics and Shot Cotton from Quilt Home
  Top:  Tula Pink Salt Water Bubble Shells in Aqua and Patty Young Clover Dots in Aqua
Mods:  Cut the Capris at the smallest length (2) so they would be shorts length, instead of ties around back I stitched a piece of 1/2" elastic to the front panels, top is cut at the longest length (8)
Notes:  The top(s) are reversible but the shorts aren't because of my mods.

 
Sandpiper Shorts and Top
 
Sandpiper Shorts and Top
 
Sandpiper Shorts and Top
 
I adore the outfit! The shorts are a unique design and the overall outfit (especially in these fabrics) has a beachy feel. 

But...I'm not comfortable with BK wearing these away from me.  Like at school.  She is fully capable of undoing the buttons and such for bathroom breaks however, it's a little fussy re-buttoning them.  Having the elastic in the back vs. the ties definitely helps. 

I tried to overcome my issues with the second pair I sewed but looking at them, I actually prefer the way the above pair fits. 


sandpiper blue
 
I added width to both the front and back panels...but ended up getting rid of most of the extra width to the front panels.  And I think the extra width is what made me not so happy with the second pair.
 
 
209

Instead of just attaching the elastic to the front wrap around panels, I stitched buttonholes into the lining so that I could make a channel for the elastic.  That modification, I'll incorporate into the next pair I sew. 


207


Sandpiper Shorts
 
I have shortened the back elastic a little since this picture was taken.  Hopefully, that will get rid of the wrinkle in the front.
 
And I'm not quite done yet...there's one more top to show.
 
Sandpiper Top
 
 
This was my tester version for fit.  I sewed up a size 5 and felt like it was a little too snug on BK.  Luckily, MG has a more petite build so it fits her perfectly!
 
 
sandpiper top mg1

Sandpiper Sisters
 
 
Sandpiper court9
 
 
Sandpiper Top MG
 
 
Sandpiper Shorts and Top



25 comments:

  1. Love all the pieces. The girls have so much personality! Love it:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last two photos are priceless ... especially the one of BK. The shorts and tops look really good!! LOVE the aqua fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my gosh! I love those last few pictures of the girls! They are charmers! I love those shorts and the tops. The Clever Charlotte patterns have interesting cuts and design elements that I really like. (I have too many already!) I don't own any of the patterns but I have been tempted to buy this one and one other with a clever jacket. I am interested in your modifications to the pants because I have wondered (as a kindergarten teacher) how little girls manage these without help at school. Does BK just unbuttoned one front button and then slide the pants down for quick breaks or does the elastic in the back make it unnecessary to unbutton at all?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the tops and shorts, Cindy (can't help it, these are my colors :-)!
    I've said it before, but your kids are all so gorgeous! Priceless, indeed :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too, Ana Sofia! I love the blues!

      Thank you!

      C

      Delete
  5. Love them all - I like your elastic mod - may try it that way next time (is the elastic also sewn to the edge of the front panel?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was sewing the 2 layers together, I didn't sew the ends where the ties are supposed to go. Then once I turned the shorts right side out, I tucked the elastic in the openings, making sure the raw edges of the fabric were also tucked in, and stitched the elastic in place. The first pair doesn't have a casing in the back so they could be reversible. I'm probably going to stitch in the ditch in the center back seam though to anchor the elastic on that pair.

      Thank you, Justine!

      Delete
  6. Great outfits. I'm really tempted by the Clever Charlotte patterns when I see garments like these. Kids are fantastic too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Clever Charlotte has a lot of neat design elements on their patterns.:)

      Cindy

      Delete
  7. Adorable! I love the pretty fabrics you always use. And your pictures get better and better, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Uta! I've been trying my best to get better pictures...glad that you noticed.;)

      C

      Delete
  8. I love both outfits! Aren't sisters the best?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful clothes and children! The cuteness kills me. I extra love the fabric used for the second pair of "shorts".

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love your colour combinations. They look so fresh and sweet on the girls

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love these shorts! Very cute and different. And the pretty polka dot detail is a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Clever Charlotte has some very nice patterns with interesting designs.:)

      Cindy

      Delete
  12. I missed these when they first posted! What cute outfits. I especially love the pants you made up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You find the most unique patterns, Cindy! I would totally rock these items if they had them in adult sizes. The cuts are so much fun...and I'm a sucker for anything with a bow. Another homerun for you, Cindy!

    Warmly,
    Lauren
    The Thinking Closet

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are great and a big congrats at winning 3rd place for shorts on the line!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those shorts are lovely! I think the top is fantastic too. That Tula Pink fabric is to die for!. Congratulations! very great work!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The shorts are adorable! Congratulations on your 3rd place win!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!