Back in April, I ordered the Grainline Studio Maritime Shorts pattern from Pink Chalk Fabrics with high hopes that it would work for both K and myself. It took me a while (other projects kept getting in the way!) but I've finally sewn a pair up.
Oh wait...I'm supposed to be showing the shorts off not my daughter. Sorry!
pattern: Grainline Studio Maritime Shorts
fabric: distressed twill from Vogue Fabrics
mods: took in a small wedge at the center back and shortened the waistband so that it would fit that change, shortened the back inseam by approx. 3/4", button instead of a hook and eye closure
I can't say enough good things about this pattern.:) I sewed it up at my parents' house and realized that I didn't have a way to access the instructions. Luckily, Jen (the person behind Grainline Studio) has a step-by-step tutorial with lots of pictures HERE. It went together with no problems. The zipper fly was constructed a little differently than I was used to but the results were flawless!
The only place I had to make adjustments were how the shorts fit in the back. There was an itty bitty bit of gaping, which was fixed by taking the center back seam in with a wedge. K also felt like the shorts were a little wide on her legs in the back. Since these were the muslin, I ripped out the inseam stitching and trimmed the back inseam shorter before sewing the shorts back together. That's not an ideal fix and messed up the crotch curve a little. Next time, I'll pinch out some of the width from the back pattern piece. The only other thing that will be changed is the back pocket size/placement. K thought they were too big. I have plenty of back pocket pattern pieces from all the jeans I've sewn for her over the years. Surely one of them will appeal to her.
She's picked out some gray twill for her next pair. The fabric that was supposed to be for my Maritime Shorts! Oh well, she needs shorts that fit more than I do.