Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Free Shorts

Being the smaller yet older sister can be quite irritating at times.  But when mom sews clothes for BK that turn out to be a bit snug, MG gets the hand-me-ups!
 
 
Coastal Craze Baggies
 
size:  6
fabric:  twill from a pair of Grandpa's Dockers, white interlock from the scrap bin
mods:  shortened the leg length, didn't add a tie to the center front waistband
 
 
Coastal Craze Baggies
 
The pattern was part of my prizes for placing 3rd in the Shorts on the Line contest.  And the fabric was from a stack of Dockers that my dad no longer wears.  The white interlock was gleaned from my scrap bag and I keep a well stocked collection of elastic so I don't have to run out to the store every time I'm working on a project.  That makes for a free pair of shorts!
 
These were originally intended for BK.  But the size 6 was way too tight for her in the back.  I was afraid she'd split the back seam every time she bent over!  The front was fine, even a little big.  I think the issue is that the crotch curve just isn't suited to my BK's curves.  If I had made the shorts out of a knit, the fit would probably have been fine due to the give of a stretch fabric.  (The pattern is intended for knits and light to medium weight wovens.)
 
 
Coastal Craze Baggies

MG has her daddy's bum so the fit back there is fine.;)

 
august shorts 1
 
 
I'm not quite sure why the front keeps getting a wrinkle like that.  The shorts did the same thing when my curvy girl had them on. 
 
I like the style (knit covered elastic waistband on woven shorts/pants) and in fact purchased (shhh!) a pair of similar shorts recently for BK that fit her perfectly.  I might have a go again with modifying the Oliver + S Sketchbook or Sandbox patterns to make a pair that fits BK good.  As even with the purchased pair of shorts, she really only has a few pairs that fit and school starts in a couple of weeks!
 
 

17 comments:

  1. Nice idea to have the knit waistband.
    Maybe the pattern really does need to be made from knit to avoid the crease in the front or perhaps the rise is the issue? At any rate, they do look good and one can never have enough pairs of shorts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love them! Do your girls wear uniforms? I was just thinking those would be perfect for school. The cute pocket and waistband detail is such a cute way to add pizzazz!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are cute! And, you just can't beat a "free" pair of shorts! I have made sketchbooks for G and added width to just the back pieces before and gotten a really good fit. Her hips measure 3" more than her waist, and I think most of that is in the booty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll have to keep that in mind. BK is rounder all over so for shorts/pants, I can't use the same size that I do for MG.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. They are yummy! I finally found the perfect place to plant them in our yard....by the mailbox!

      Delete
  5. Another great looking pair of shorts! I like the look of the waistband for kids and think it would be very comfortable to wear.If the rise at the back were longer, do you think that would stop the crease at the front?... just a guess.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your children are so lucky, Cindy! You can make anything! These shorts and the ones for K in your last post are so very well made and fit your children beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the shorts! (and yes, you can't really beat free shorts!!)
    Of course, your girls are so beautiful, Cindy! They could wear anything ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect fit! I love you used grandpa's chinos for the fabric. That's a great idea! Good Twill is quite expensive and hard to find for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look so comfy with the knit waistband, bet they'll get loads of wear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since the little girls are so rough on their clothes, this extra pair will come in handy!;)

      Delete
  10. Those girls are such beauties. Love the shorts. We're all about shorts in this house.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They turned out great, that's a hand me up I would have been happy to get :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am also the older and smaller sister in my family. Tell BK it turns out okay, I can still boss my sister around even though she's taller than me! ;-)

    Adjusting pants is weird. For more room in back, you actually need to deepen (cut away) the back curve of the crotch. I have patterns I really like the crotch depth/rise fit in, and I actually hold them up to other patterns to compare and adjust. It's not intuitive, but it's fun once you figure out how it works.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!