Sunday, August 11, 2013

Pretty in Pink: Galena Dress

Clever Charlotte Galena Dress

pattern:  Clever Charlotte Galena Dress
size:  6 wide, 8 length
fabric:  Apparel Cotton Sheeting in pink and Plaid Seersucker for the bias trim, both from Hancock Fabrics
mods:  used the longest length for the skirt portion of the dress (seems like I do that with all my sewing regardless of pattern or person I'm sewing for...we must be giants!)


I have to admit...I've been having a bit of sewing ennui since we returned from vacation.  I didn't like this dress (or any of my other sewing projects) at all when I finished.  I don't know if the dress is too pink or what.  Perhaps because my fabric doesn't drape nicely?  The cotton sheeting has the weight and hand of a medium weight linen...just not as scratchy.

Clever Charlotte Galena Dress
 
I do love the peek-a-boo sleeves... 
 
Clever Charlotte Galena Dress
I'll probably go back and shorten the ties a bit
 
...and how the front overlaps to make a little keyhole opening.  Those are the details that had me excited to sew the pattern.  Though because of the size of the front opening, the dress needs to be layered over a tank top or camisole.  I made a little cami using an older Ottobre Design pattern (04/04, #38 I think). 
 
BK refused to wear the dress to church last week but didn't put up too much of a resistance when I told her suggested that she wear it this Sunday.  And I have to admit, the dress is growing on me.  Perhaps I needed to see her wearing it with a clean face and styled hair...something that has happened very rarely this summer.;)


Clever Charlotte Galena Dress
 
Final Verdict?  I like the dress.  Next time I sew it, I'll fiddle with the front bodice and see if I can modify it so it doesn't need an undershirt but still retains the charm of the original design.:)
 
 
 
linking up to:
 

Threading My Way_Threading Your Way
125

14 comments:

  1. I liked the sleeves on this one too, but not so much the front. Your version is cute! If you think you are in a sewing funk just compare yourself to me... :-) Nothing happening over here except for a wee bit of hand sewing. Big plans for September though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the peek a boo sleeves with the bias, Cindy and I agree about making the ties shorter and the opening smaller. I quite like the dress, but maybe if you added some piping (same colour as the bias), between the bodice and the skirt, it would break the pink up a bit, or use a contrasting fabric for either the bodice or skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like what you have done here Cindy.
    It is only a tiny opening at the front, does it 'show' anything or just a wee bit of skin? I am wondering if swimmers would display as much too?

    I love the colours and Missy Moo's beautiful braid.

    xx N

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nicole!

      It's not only the width of the opening but how low it comes. I'll probably shorten the bodice a bit and overlap the front bodices pieces on the next dress. That should take care of my issue with the opening.;)

      BK surprised me with wanting her hair braided. Most days she doesn't even want it brushed!

      C

      Delete
    2. I think your ideas to shorten the bodice and increasing the overlap will work well for making the opening smaller. I agree with Nicole that the opening is fairly small, but it looks odd to me to have it so low. I am still curious about turning the bodice around so that the opening is in the back.

      Delete
  4. I haven't seen this pattern before. I like the shoulder details...but I agree, the front keyhole opening so large is a little weird! Good job rescuing it with an undershirt. I can't wait to see what you do with the pattern next time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't seen this pattern before either! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A charming design, indeed! Yes, those peek-a-boo sleeves are so sweet...and the plaid fabric for the bias and ties is a real stand-out. Of course, pink is my favorite color, so how could I not love this dress?!

    Warmly,
    Lauren
    The Thinking Closet

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks great. I really like the sleeve detail on this dress.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it is really pretty and the colour suits BK. looking forward to making this one :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't seen the Galena dress before, it has some fun details. You made great fabric choices, looks good on her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rachel. I'd been wanting to sew the dress up ever since I got the pattern but couldn't make my mind up about fabric. Good thing K talked me into purchasing the plaid and pink.;)

      C

      Delete
  10. BK looks so pretty in pink.
    Looking forward to see your adjustments to the front opening on the next edition. Keyhole sleeves are such a nice detail.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love what you did with the pattern and the two fabrics although I agree that placing a large opening in the front is not the best pattern design. Now you have to hunt down a camisole every time she wants to wear it. But it's really cute!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!