Friday, October 11, 2013

Border Prints, What to Do?

I love border prints but never really know what to do with them other than make a skirt. 
 
Poking around in the pile of sewing paraphernalia that's stacked in a corner of our bedroom, I unearthed the Woodlands Shirt pattern from Sew Liberated.  Hmmm.  The simple shape of the shirt would showcase that border print fabric I recently purchased!
 
Small problem...I only had a yard of the fabric and the pattern calls for 1 1/3 yards.  But I made it work.
 
 
Woodlands Shirt
 
pattern:  Sew Liberated Woodlands Shirt
size:  7 width, 10 length
fabric:  Grand Hotel Azure Fountain Border by Jenean Morrison
mods:  a little creative cutting/pattern placement, used the largest size for the sleeve and body length

 
Woodlands Shirt
 
There are 2 hidden snaps to close the placket.  Instead of having multiple buttons down the placket, I chose to place one at the top.  It adds a little interest but doesn't compete with the border print.
 
And of course, if BK was going to wear her new top MG had to wear her Woodlands Shirt from last year!
 
Woodlands Shirt
 
 
Have a great weekend!
 
 
 
 
 
 

Threading My Way

22 comments:

  1. How beautiful! I love that fabric and it looks great as a shirt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great !! Such a pretty shirt:)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. It lines up so perfectly. I hadn't seen this pattern before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a great use for the border print! A quilt backing also looks great using a border print. Just in case you want to get into that some day... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. way to go for making it work! I find that I almost always use less fabric than what's called for in a sewing pattern... don't you feel they call for more fabric just to be on the safe side?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, I think most patterns call for more fabric than you need. But this one, if you were to lay out the pattern pieces the way they suggested you'd definitely need that extra 1/3 of a yard.

      C

      Delete
  6. Oo, oo, oo....I've been coveting this pattern; now I must get it! Both of them look great and good on you to make the limited border print fabric work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I can't believe you had limited fabric and still made it line up so nicely - great top!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It works well, Cindy!!! Good decision to use snaps instead of buttons with this print and just the one cute flower button.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are adorable! I love the fabrics and the pattern is the perfect design for them, without being a totally plain woven shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is really lovely, Cindy - great use of the print. I have similar dilemmas re border prints - love them, but always think skirt.
    And thanks for the reminder re this pattern - must pull it out again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Its lovely! I have always coveted this pattern but never bought it. The square neckline is really cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katy! I added it to an online order I placed a year? two? ago as it was clearance priced. I do love the square neckline!

      C

      Delete
  12. Beautiful shirt (and girls!) Cindy. I have some border prints that I haven't dared cut. You chose the perfect pattern here, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The girls look adorable in their shirts. I love the border print used for the blouse. They are so lucky you sew for them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved your first version of this top, and a year after I still love your latest version (i.e. I need to get this pattern)!
    I have the same feeling towards border prints - can't help myself when I see them and to date, all my purchases are still to be cut :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pattern is for sale for under $5 usd on the Sew Liberated website.;) Thanks, Ana Sofia. It's a good pattern to use for busy prints.

      C

      Delete
  15. It is fantastic! Great pattern placement and making it work with less. I agree with the snaps, they don't take away from the print.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very cute! I wouldn't have thought to use a border print for a shirt but it works great!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!