Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Button Down

After a busy Fall with soccer, cross country, and football, there was 1 week where we only had football.  Then indoor track tryouts started and football has continued on. P's team won their first playoff game and are headed to the Championship game this weekend!  I love supporting my kids as they participate in sports but it does get a little exhausting running here, there, and everywhere every night of the week.  And it certainly doesn't leave much time for photographing clothing I've sewn!
 
Kristin of Skirt As Top gave me a helpful hint...take pictures on the weekend of what I've sewn during the week instead of trying to photograph each piece the day it's finished.  doh!  So that's what I did this past weekend...
 
 
 
pattern:  Gardener Cotton Shirt Blouse (Ottobre Design Woman 5/2012 #7)
size:  34
fabric:  Chambray from Jo-ann Fabrics, Tula Pink Prince Charming voile for the inside collar stand

Yes, you read that right.  I used a woman's pattern for K's shirt.  K has been wanting a chambray button down ever since school started this fall.  She looked through the children's Ottobre Design magazines but none of those were just right for my Goldilocks.;)  After seeing the shirt that Joy from 21 Wale made, I thought I would take chance on using a woman's pattern even though K's measurements were a tad shy of the smallest size.

Chambray Button Down
And it worked!
 
It's a little loose through the chest and midsection but she didn't want a snug shirt.  There's plenty of room to layer a long sleeve knit shirt underneath as the weather gets colder. 
 
Chambray Button Down
 
I'm a fan of the shirttail hem. 
 
OW Buttondown back

 
 I have some shot cotton set aside for another shirt which will be one of her Christmas presents.  And I think I might need to trace this pattern off in my size too.

Chambray Button Down
 
 
 

35 comments:

  1. I tried a junior size pattern for Bella- and did NOT get the fantastic results you did:) I think it's because your little girl is so tall & thin (lucky thing!) I was trying to find a button up pajama set. I ended up taking in the side seams and pulling darts- big ones. The sleeves were too long and I forgot to grade the shoulders so the shoulder seam falls on her upper arm. It was a disaster.

    All complaining aside, I'm so glad I read your blog and gets lots of help. I love this top you made, I think it's just right for her and very on trend. I would guess length is an issue for her- I'm not even tall but I have a long torso and it feels like dresses are too short...I go up a size in blouses so I don't show my rolls when I lift my arms! So very good job getting a pretty, well fitting garment out of a women's pattern. You are a tween sewing rock star!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love this on her - the chambray shirt trend is one that I'm glad is sticking around a while! You're is sewing K a Madewell wardrobe over there. Looks fantastic.

    Glad my busy blogger photo tip is working! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on the shirt... It looks fantastic! She's a lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great shirt! I think I may need one too :)
    I can't believe your thin little girl fit in an Ottobre woman pattern!
    Glad she was able to find one she wanted though

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I love chambray shirts and this one is lovely!
    To be honest, I don't think I would venture sewing with a Ottobre women pattern (the children are already too challenging for me). K is very lucky (and you're are a very brave mum)!
    Love the fit on your gorgeous lady :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they a great basic?:)

      Thanks, Ana Sofia!

      Delete
  6. This looks so cute! It must feel a bit strange sewing from the womens mag but some great designs in there too. I also like that the models are often tall in the magazine which should suit your family too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rachel! Yes, K is taller than the largest children's size so using the woman's patterns does mean I don't have to make as much as an adjustment for height.;)

      Delete
  7. What a nice top, I think the fit suits her. I'm glad she found just the pattern she wanted and it worked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to be able to (finally!) fulfill a sewing request that met all of her criteria! Thanks!

      Delete
  8. Wow, I think it looks amazing on her. She's obviously a little slimmer than the shirt, but I can't imagine why she'd want the shirt to be any closer fitting. It's quite flattering and so versatile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think so too but she is obsessed with clothing not being too "poofy" on her sides. I think the way it is,is fine.

      C

      Delete
  9. K. looks fabulous in her new shirt!!! It really suits her... both style and colour. The splash of colour at the neckline looks great, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a great, basic item! I want one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful. Congratulations on her growing so healthily into adult clothing! The fit looks perfect, very flattering. I wonder if you shouldn't move the pockets up a little bit. Perhaps the Ottobre woman isn't quite as pert as your teenager and the pockets would be more over the bust than looking like her bust is peeping out of the pockets! (oh to be young and "pert" again, sigh)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gran trabajo!!!.
    Es una camisa muy linda
    Besitos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias!
      Ha sido usado bastante desde que terminé de coser la camisa.

      Delete
  13. Gorgeous! Though I'm already sad about the day I'll have to set my Ottobres aside :-) !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? I'm sad every time my kids move into the next size ranges in OD. BK and MG are nearing the top of the 104-122 range. Technically, BK is already out of that range. Eek! Thanks, Uta!

      Delete
  14. Beautiful top on your beautiful (and so grown up!) daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You never cease to amaze me with your expert sewing skills. This button shirt with collar stand is perfect. I'm so impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks great!!! Very pretty shirt and daughter!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow great, actually I like this on girl, I think it's suitable for my little sister too :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous Cindy. A perfect shirt for her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nicole! It's nice to sew clothes for her that actually get worn.:)

      Delete
    2. I know exactly what you mean.

      Delete
  19. This is a gorgeous shirt! The fit looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this shirt! The fabric is so pretty and I'm glad that it fit great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Megan! It's a great basic. I'm thinking I need one too.;)

      C

      Delete
  21. It's fun to see this in a solid version; the small pockets are so cute. It fits her well and looks like it will layer well, too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, this is really a beautiful piece! I've actually been shopping around for a shirt like that for myself...clearly, I need a Cindy near me! (Or I need to get back on the sewing machine and start braving apparel patterns.) Looking through the last several weeks of posts, you've been a busy bee! Hope you and your family have a blessed holiday!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!