Sunday, January 26, 2014

Chickadee Flip: Skirts and the Pleats

 


 
Flipping the skirt took a bit more brain power than the jacket and t-shirt.  I didn't plan on making 2 skirts. But after a lot of thought, I decided that was the best way to add the pleats and not have a hot mess on the inside of the skirt.
 

The over skirt is a size 6, cut at a 3 length, and tapered to the size 2 where the overlap in the front is.  I didn't top stitch the outside edge at all.  To hold the overlap closed, I sewed the bottom 3 buttons in place.


Now on to those pleats!  I opted for pleats vs. ruffles as I wanted a more tailored look.  I cut strips of fabric 2 1/4" wide, selvage to selvage, and finished the top long edge with the serger and used a 5mm rolled hem foot for the bottom edge.


To make my pleats, I used my handy dandy seam gauge and a ton of pins.



Fold and pin...


Fold and pin...


...until the whole length of your fabric strip looks like this:



Then baste across the top to hold the pleats in place and press with your iron.


The underskirt was made using 2 of the original Chickadee Skirt back pattern pieces (size 6).  I stitched the side seams together, finished the bottom raw edge with the serger, and made a casing for 1/2" elastic at the top. 

Starting at the very bottom, I stitched my first row of pleated fabric (wrong side to the right side of the skirt) and worked my way up from there, overlapping each row approximately 1/2".  When I got to the top, I placed my last row of pleated fabric upside down so that after I stitched it on I could press it towards the skirt and top stitch so the serged edge is concealed. 


That's a lot of pleats!
 
Confession time...
For my reveal, the underskirt wasn't completely covered in pleats.  I had only bought 1/2 yard of the blue fabric and quickly ran out of it.  Who knew that pleats took up so much fabric?  I do now!  There were 3 rows of pleats all around and then I had 4 more rows where the over skirt came together.  If I hadn't procrastinated so much, I would have had time to buy more fabric and finish it before I needed to take pictures. 

In the end, it took 1 1/2 yards of the blue fabric to cover the underskirt.  All told, I spent probably 6 hours pleating fabric and sewing it on to the underskirt.  But the final look of the 2 skirts together was worth all that work.:)




I ran out of daylight (hence the Harvest Gold bathroom pic) but as soon as I have time, I'll come back and post pictures of my little girls wearing the separates.  Teaser: MG will have the pleated skirt and the jacket and BK will have the over skirt and the t-shirt.;)
 
 
Clever Charlotte Chickadee Flip

 
Clever Charlotte Chickadee Flip
 
 
Clever Charlotte Chickadee Flip
 
 

19 comments:

  1. Thanks for the inside story on the pleats. Despite being a lot of work, the underskirt truly makes the outfit sing. Your Flip is Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I REALLY love this skirt! I have pinned the tutorial and I know that there will be one of these in my future. Thank you so much for spelling it all out so well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks awesome, but wow that is a lot of work! ;-)
    good luck to you in the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, those pleats!! Incredible! Also, I love your Harvest Gold tile ... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a labor of love! It looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the tutorial! The work to create all those pleats was worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a SUCKER for pleats. And yours turned out beautifully. Seriously, even from the small thumbnail on bloglovin', I was instantly in love. (And when I did my ruffle tree skirt, I, too, was amazed at how easy you run out of fabric when pinning pleats. I definitely needed a second run to JoAnn's to finish it up!) Anyway, fab job, Cindy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on winning with this Flip, Cindy! I am so happy for you! The girls look wonderful wearing the pieces separately. Such a versatile outfit! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations again! Your flip is so incredible. I am really inspired. And your girls are always so so adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's such a stunning piece of work, Cindy. I keep coming back for another look!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I told you!!! Congrats on the big win Cindy!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is fabulous! I love how the one outfit can be two. Not sure I'd have the patience for all those pleats though!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Catching up late - wow!!!! Congrats on the win, well deserved, this is amazing work!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is a lot of pleats! All of those pieces were so well thought out and went so well together, but I love how they can be worn individually at the same time. Congrats on the win!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!