Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Shirt, Pants, 5k

It's wrestling season again!  P needed some new ties and button down shirts as everything from last year was too small.  He has definitely outgrown the Oliver + S Sketchbook pattern so I gave a new pattern a try.

Kwik Sew 2974
doesn't he look thrilled?;)
 
pattern:  Kwik Sew 2974
size:  14 with extra length
fabric:  cotton plaid
mods:  added an inch in length for the body and sleeves
 
Overall, I was happy with the Kwik Sew pattern.  The fit is good on P.  My only complaint is how high the shirt tail hem comes up on the sides.  The tie is the grown up version of what I made last year. (Purl Bee Father's Day Tie)
 
 

One thing I need to work on if I'm going to keep sewing plaid shirts is the placement of the plaid.  I get so wrapped up in matching it on the side seams and front that I forget about balancing the pattern of the plaid on the front panels and the back.  Next time, right?

"uncomplicated" leggings

pattern:  "Uncomplicated" leggings, Ottobre Design 04/13 #15
size:  116
fabric:  Charcoal gray cotton/lycra from Girl Charlee
mods:  took a little of the width out from the hips

MG is doing Girls on the Run through her school and wanted some leggings to wear for running when it's cold.  I had grabbed the Fall 2013 issue (thinking there was a traditional leggings pattern in it) to take to my parents' house for a spot of sewing.  There was one but the smallest size was a 128...too big for my tiny MG.  So, I gave a new silhouette a try.  There's no center front/back seam in these leggings.  When she first tried them on they were pretty loose through the hips and had some funny bagging in the crotch.  Taking in the side seams a bit through the hips eliminated the issue. 

If you're not familiar with Girls on the Run here's a little blurb from their website....
"Girls on the Run is a transformational physical activity based positive youth development program for girls in 3rd-8th grade. We teach life skills through dynamic, interactive lessons and running games. The program culminates with the girls being physically and emotionally prepared to complete a celebratory 5k running event. The goal of the program is to unleash confidence through accomplishment while establishing a lifetime appreciation of health and fitness."

For the "celebratory 5k running event" each girl has a running buddy.  I figured that K could do it with MG, after all she's my runner.  Come to find out that the running buddy has to be over 16 years of age.  That left me.  Time to dust off the ol' running shoes!

Once upon a time I did (kind of) run--before I got pregnant with MG and the summer after I had BK.  But it never stuck.  And truth be told, I'm probably in my worst shape ever.  There's no way I'm letting MG down though! I've downloaded the C25k (couch to 5k) app on my phone and I'm working my way through the program.  I completed the week 2: day 2 workout this afternoon.  The 5k is May 10th.  

"uncomplicated" leggings

 I'm discovering that when you have a goal (the 5k race) it makes you a lot more motivated to get out there and run.  I only hope I can keep up with MG!


Linking up to:
Sew Cool for the Tween Scene

22 comments:

  1. I'm so pleased I was never asked to accompany any of my kids on a 5k run!!! I'd have hated to disappoint them. But you are right, it's much easier to do anything if there's a reason why you should do it!!! Good luck with the 2 months of training. Even if P. is less than impressed with the photo shoot, I'm sure he loves the shirts and ties you make him. I can't see anything that needs improving on the shirt... the balance looks great from here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great dress shirt for you son! I just love the look on his face. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking shirt! I almost bought that pattern recently at my nearby fabric store closing sale..but didn't. It's only going to get harder to find patterns for our boys!

    The pants are cute, too. Does the interesting shape annoy her? I have them traced for my G.

    Good luck on your running! I started "running" again this past summer (hadn't since high school), but I'm definitely not dedicated enough to run in winter here. I was more successful in buying new shoes and some running clothes patterns than I was in the actual running department, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice shirt and tie! And you can do it on the 5k! Last spring I got half way (2.2 km was the most I did) before I got pregnant and all enthusiasm completely died. I plan to start in the fall again (breastfeeding and running don't sound very comfortable to me!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I kind of like the placement of the plaid...it catches your eye. I so here you on the out of shape side of things...I need to look into the app. My goal is to run a 5K in under 30 minutes and I've got a long way to go. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The shirt looks great. I am just like you in my plaid-matching - I always forget to line up the plaid in an appealing way on the center front and back. Congrats on starting C25K. I've done it twice and really liked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Masha! One of these days, I'll remember to line everything up just right when I cut out something from plaid.;)

      It's good to hear that you've liked the C25k. I'm in week 3 of it and starting to feel it!

      Delete
  7. I've heard good things about the Couch to 5K app! Good for you for going for it, Cindy. I need to get back on the exercise wagon myself. Too many excuses...just need to shut up and work out! Lol.

    Fabulous projects as always. Your kids are growing up so fast! (But I'm sure I don't need to tell you that.) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did such an amazing job with this shirt! It looks great.
    ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome and practical sewing, and good luck with the C25K! My husband did it a few years ago and he's NEVER been a runner...but it made him one! I was pretty impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck training! I find running awfully hard and admire anyone who can keep at it. The plaid shirt is great! I can't imagine matching all those pieces. He looks so grown up already!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck with your training:)) love your plaid shirt:)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is so exciting you are running. I used to love to run maybe like 14 years ago. I am hoping when the ice melts off the side walks here to get back into it myself as I really want to get back in shape by the time I turn 40 in October. I love the plaid shirt. It is so cute especially with tie. And the leggings look great too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The shirt looks great! Glad the venture into a new pattern was successful. Good luck on your run! I think it's an awesome reason to brush of your running shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How exciting to do a 5k with her! I wish you good luck on the training part.
    The shirt looks great - I didn't even notice the sides until you pointed them out :) I just picked up this pattern too so I'll make a note on it.
    The leggings are an interesting pattern with no crotch seams - They sure look cute though!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The plaid shirt is perfection. What a unique leggings pattern you found, I've never seen a pair of leggings with no crotch seams.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fab shirt, tie and leggings Cindy. Good luck with the running, it becomes addictive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Peta!

      I can see how running becomes addictive...hopefully, it will continue to be!

      Delete
  17. I hope it becomes addictive for you Cindy. How fabulous to love exercise rather then just endure it. I do get the feeling of loving how you feel when you do regularly exercise.

    Good luck to you, you are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have this pattern in the 4 to 7 years size. The front tail is shorter than the back and my soon to be 4- year old very quickly outgrew the 4 year size in terms of length! I am going to lengthen the shirt like you did , the next time I make it for him. It's a beautiful fit otherwise. Excellent matching up the plaid across the fronts , by the way! I wouldn't have noticed any other issues with balancing if you hadn't talked about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Luckily, adding length is a relatively easy alteration for our kids who outgrow the length long before they do the width.:)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!