Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Shorts on the Line: Jalie 3351

This post is part of the Shorts on the Line sewalong.  Shorts on the Line 2014 is sponsored by: Britex FabricsHawthorne Threadsmiss matatabi, and Soak Wash.  Hosted by imagine gnatssmall + friendly, and Kollabora.
 
My turn, my turn!  This year as part of the Shorts on the Line sewalong, I'm sharing what I did with the Jalie 3351 Swim Shorts pattern.  While I'm going to make a pair of swim shorts eventually, I decided to make...

 
 
...running shorts!

 
pattern:  Jalie 3351 
size: O
fabric:  Heathered Quick Dry Performance Fabric from Jo-Ann Fabric
mods:  eliminated the inner brief, cut the waistband elastic longer than the recommended length
 
*There is an error in the printed pattern instructions so you should refer to the downloadable instructions HERE when attaching the waistband to the shorts and briefs.
 
I'm not the first person to think that the swim shorts pattern would make good running shorts.  Per the pattern description..."They are also very comfortable for running (especially with mesh briefs) or tennis."  Also, Dawn at Two On, Two Off made running shorts here and here.
 
 
K goes running pretty much every day.  I've been slowly adding to her running clothes so that laundry doesn't need to be done quite so often.  I've discovered that quick dry fabrics are the way to go as cotton shorts tend to develop embarrassing sweat marks on long or hot runs.  I found some performance fabric at our local Jo-ann Fabric store that is very similar in feel to a pair of Soffe Dri Shorts that I recently bought her.
 
jalie 3351 pockets
 
The shorts fit great and have a neat side detail with pockets! Though, if you wanted to leave the pockets off and have a more conventional side, you could easily lengthen and square off the side panel pattern piece and skip the pockets.

 
The side panels and separate waistband are great for color blocking.  I left out the inner briefs as K has never cared for how they feel.  The recommended elastic length for size O was too tight for K so I ended up cutting the waistband elastic 2 inches longer.
 
jalie 3351 smile
 
 After pictures, K went for a 5 mile run to test out the shorts.  She came back with a smile on her face saying that they worked well.  I'll definitely be sewing more! 
 

 
 

23 comments:

  1. They look fantastic and very comfortable. I love the color blocking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, she's quite a runner, isn't she?
    Love the fit on her and the color blocking looks awesome as well. You truly have a hand with casual wear :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. She looks amazing as do the shorts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So awesome. Wish I could go run for 5 miles and come back smiling!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. holy cow, these are fantabulous!! love the color-blocking and pocket detail on the side :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. She is such a skinny minnie :) The shorts look great and I love those colors together. I'm sooooooo glad they updated the instructions since I sewed them because I was so lost at the end! I think it is great how versatile this pattern is too!
    I wish these contests I love would not all be jumping to Kollabora :( I haven't entered any this year because of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow- I think the side pocket would be excellent for a phone or iPod- awesome pattern!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These came out so cute! I love the detail! And if I looked like that in little shorts I'd make twenty pair, hmmm maybe I should start jogging ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the side pockets! Didn't see that part in the Flickr photo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are amazing!! Maybe I should stop buying shorts I don't love and sew my own...

    ReplyDelete
  11. A great fit, Cindy and I love the side pockets!!! Whether they're used or not, they're a great detail

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, what a great sew mom! You can tell how much she loves them. I love the colors that you used.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm hoping to sew myself a pair next...though I might make them a bit longer in the inseam.;)

      Delete
  13. I love how you tackle more than just dresses/shirts/skirts. Swimwear! Outerwear! Workout wear! You can sew it all! K just looks like a natural runner, so awesome you can make clothes that fit her perfectly and do exactly what she needs them to do.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love these!!! I'm a runner myself (though nowhere near in such a good shape as K, she is so skinny!) and these look fantastic! The last pair of shorts I was thinking of buying cost close for £30 (didnt buy them obviously), this is a great way of saving some money, plus they look way more comfy. Well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look so comfy! And I love the pocket detail. Do you think for a swim shorts version you would leave the briefs in?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cute on a girl her size but I am 61, a bit overweight and have spider veins- any shorts out there for me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the same thoughts when I sew a pattern that fits both me and K. I think it looks fine on me and then I see K in hers and instantly feel frumpy and fat. There's no competing with a fit 15 year old!lol Thanks.:)

      Delete
  17. These are SO great! Love the color blocking and that side pocket is such a great design feature. My 15 yr old son runs as well (cross country), but don't think I'd be able to convince him to wear a pair of shorts I made him:) I would definitely wear these though - in a few sizes bigger:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lucinda! K is the same age and runs cross country too (then hurdles for indoor and outdoor track). Too funny! Jane's (notsewplain) son runs cross country also.:) I can't say that P would be too impressed if I were to make him running shorts either!

      Delete
  18. She really has the body type of a track and field athlete! So long and lean? Has she ever done any competing?

    The shorts are fab. I would totally wear these too, although they would ... ahem ... look different on me. But the color blocking is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  19. These look fabulous! I can imagine K loves them for running. I've made several (5?) assorted ones now and love them. I made one pair for running/cycling for myself and wish I'd left out the briefs. Next time.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!