Monday, September 29, 2014

Sandbox Love




We've all got that one pattern that we love to sew and for me that is the Oliver + S Sandbox Pants.  I've sewn it up countless times over the years.  It's a great basic pants pattern all on it's own but with a little imagination you can make pretty much any kind of pants/shorts with it.  This time around, I made a pair of shorts for BK.  If you want to see my other renditions of the Sandbox pattern over the years, check out the Oliver + S blog HERE.






pattern:  Oliver + S Sandbox Pants
size:  8
fabric:  Sew Classic Bottomweight Twill from Jo-Ann Fabrics (army green)
mods:  shortened the pants to shorts, curved the bottom of the front pockets, contrast topstitching, used gray ribknit fabric for the waistband


 
For a slightly more feminine look, I rounded the bottom of the front patch pockets.  My inspiration was this pair from Mel.
 
 
I double stitched the pockets and topstitched the side/crotch seams with light gray thread for interest.  Added bonus is those pockets and seams are very sturdy now!  Always a plus since BK is hard on her clothes.  I also used a ribknit for the waistband as I thought the twill was a little too stiff to be comfortable. 

sandbox shorts full

The shorts are perfect for our warm (so far) Fall!  I'm sure I'll be using the pattern again to make a pair of long pants once the weather turns cooler.  Perhaps a pair of convertible Sandbox pants like Brittney made?




7 comments:

  1. I love working with cotton twill and great changes you made to make the shorts more feminine :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Double stitching the pockets and topstitching the seams makes all the difference to the overall look, Cindy. They look fabulous!!! I almost always topstitch crotch seams on shorts, but I find it very fiddly to topstitch the side seams. Perhaps I'm just lazy... LOL!!! I do love the look, though, so I think I'll have try harder next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice shorts, I love the top stitching details! Shorts and pants are tough, if you find a fit that works its a sew again and again for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are very beach boutique with the rugged, muted fabric and all the topstitching!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love them. Your top stitching is so perfect and looks fabulous. Maybe I'll try a pair next summer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photo Cindy, congrats on the post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Nicole! I'll be sad when BK outgrows this pattern.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!