Thursday, October 30, 2014

Girls in Blue

Who's that girl?

 


 Why it's MG!  She's been missing from the blog lately but agreed to be one of my models to help show off what I made with the 2 yards of 100% organic cotton jersey that Organic Cotton Plus sent me.  


pattern:  Skater Dress from Kitschy Coo
size: 7/8 years
fabric:  Cloud Cover cotton jersey from Organic Cotton Plus and a few pieces of a Chez Ami jersey that is no longer available
mods:  added a pocket and an extra inch in length to the sleeves
*Organic Cotton Plus sent me the 2 yards of fabric for free.  All opinions are as always my own (and in this case MG and BK's too).


The dress is a little big on MG as in truth, I made it for her younger sister. Shush, don't tell!


The jersey was a dream to cut and sew.  The only 'hard' part was pressing and pinning the hem prior to sewing.  Jersey fabric (almost always) curls in on its self.  But with a little patience and a lot of pins/pressing it's not a big deal.


size: 8
mods: cut the back yoke narrower and on the fold to eliminate the buttons (there was a recent tutorial on the O+S blog showing how to do it HERE), cut the lower back piece not as wide, used a larger seam allowance (3/4") for sewing the neckline

The Cloud Cover Jersey is 55" wide and with 2 yards worth I was able to cut out a dress and a top.  I did need to use another fabric for the front and back yoke lining on the Hide-n-Seek Tunic.  I also didn't have quite enough width when it came time to cut out my final piece.  Basically, I ended up eliminating the need for gathering on the lower back pattern piece.  That was lack of planning on my part and could have been avoided if I'd thought it through before cutting.

  
Even though eliminating the gathering in the back was a make do moment, I rather like how it looks.  If you did it in the front and also did color blocking, it would make a really cute customized Hide-n-Seek top.


But the gathers are also sweet!;)  My inspiration for the top was this Gymboree top that BK wears multiple times a week.  I had planned on adding buttons on the sides of the front yoke but we decided that the blue top was pretty enough on it's own.  My one other mod was to use a larger seam allowance on the neckline to make sure that there was enough room for the tunic to pull on over BK's head.  


Both girls agree that the organic cotton jersey is soft and comfortable to wear.  After the photo shoot, they opted to keep the clothes on instead of changing back into what they were wearing.  You know you have clothing that will get worn when they aren't begging to change!;)
 




19 comments:

  1. You do knits so well, you are me hero.
    Lovely colour on your beautiful girls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nicole! Knits and me get along very well...;)lol

      Delete
  2. Looking good! Those two could be twins.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suh-weet! I like that shade of blue! The stitching on both the top & dress is perfection. And so true- if they don't change after a photoshoot you know it's a win.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look great Cindy., I really like the Hide and Seek as a shaped T-shirt like this. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The fabric really looks comfortable to wear. Pretty colour on the girls.
    BK's expressions crack me up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such beautiful girls and how lovely to be so close in age to one another. Love that Hide and Seek in knit. Genius!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Peta! It's nice that they can share clothes like tops and dresses. I get 1 for 2 out of most of my sewing.;)

      Delete
  7. Both dress and top are very lovely and look comfortable! I really the Hide and Seek in a knit. I really love BK's expressions too! They sure make me smile. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Nicole - your knit sewing is always so impressive.
    Although I don't sew T-shirts (I don't have a serger, but I'm working on it...) that Hide and Seek Tee is so beautiful - the front gathers looks so sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ana Sofia!

      I didn't have a serger for a very long time but it does make knit sewing so much quicker! Next on my list of machines I want is a coverstitch but it will probably be another year or two before that happens.

      Delete
  9. You are so clever! I would never have thought to do the H+S in knit. Both the dresses are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably wouldn't have either if it hadn't been for that Gymboree top that BK wears All. The. Time. Plus Stacy's long sleeve version on the O+S blog was really nice too. I'm wondering if I can convince K that she needs one! Thanks, Britt!

      Delete
  10. It's a beautiful blue. I cannot believe you got both a dress & a top out of only 2 yards! It's so good to see you back sewing so much lately. I really should (need to) buy the Skater Dress pattern (& I should really try sewing more with knits). Yay, you got to sew up a Hide-and-Seek! I love how your tunic turned out in knit without the back center panel being gathered.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both outfits are gorgeous. The H&S tunic looks perfect in a knit and I quite like the back panel being smooth. It looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What lovely clothes! They look so comfortable and attractive. Blue is my favorite color. I really can't stand how cute your girls are :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great save with the back of the Hide n Seek top, Cindy. I really like how it's gathered at the front, but not the back. The girls look so sweet together holding hands!!! Definitely a winner if they didn't want to take the clothes off after the photo shoot.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aww...that last pic of your girls is utterly precious! A sisters love - one for another! At least at that moment! LOL Love the dress and the top...dreamy fabric to boot! Awesome as usual Cindy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Both your girls have the sweetest facial expressions :) I love the color of that knit and that top is amazing. You make me want to buy the pattern ;-) Cute cuffs on the skater and what a perfect twirl!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!