Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Butterfly Blouse + Skirt


pattern:  Oliver + S Butterfly Blouse + Skirt
size:  7, the skirt was cut at an 8 length
fabric:  Lily Pond woven cotton* and White cotton interlock, both from Organic Cotton Plus
mods:  eliminated the peplum from the Butterfly
*I received the Lily Pond fabric for free from Organic Cotton Plus in exchange for a honest review.  However, I purchased the white interlock.  I've been very happy with all the fabric (rib knit, twill, jersey) OCP has sent me over the past 18 months.  I hadn't actually purchased from them and when I needed some white knit, it was time to put my money where my mouth is.  Spoiler:  I'm very happy with the fabric I bought!


It's been awhile since I've bought a pattern right after it was released.  But I really liked the Butterfly blouse and the fact that it could be sewn out of a knit or a woven fabric.  MG likes simple, unfussy clothes so I eliminated the peplum.  I took the peplum pattern piece and taped it to the front and back bodices, overlapping the 1/2" seam allowances.  I also folded out the extra width of the front peplum pattern piece. 

Knit tops are what my little girls prefer to wear.  I usually use cotton/lycra knit as that seems to be the easiest to find but I prefer the weight of a good interlock.  The interlock from Organic Cotton Plus doesn't disappoint! I'll be ordering more to use for some selfish sewing.;)


I used cotton voile (OCP included a scrap at my request with the Lily Pond print) for the keyhole facing and the bias binding at the neckline.  I love the keyhole opening in the back!  Some of my favorite tops from Gymboree have that same detail.  I used elastic instead of a thread loop to hold the opening closed.


Like so many others have said, the Butterfly skirt sews up really quick.  The pleats in the front add a little interest to an otherwise simple skirt.  MG likes that the front waistband is flat.  

It's a great pattern to use a fun print.  I love the whimsy of the lily pad print.  The fabric looked familiar to me but I couldn't quite place it.  Then it dawned on me...it's part of Rae Hoekstra's Lotus Pond fabric line.  I did a quick search online and it looks like Organic Cotton Plus has the fabric for $1 less than other retailers.  They also have a few other prints from the Lotus Pond fabric line. The fabric is a little lighter weight than your typical quilting cotton...perfect for a summer skirt.


As you can see, MG is very pleased with her new outfit!



11 comments:

  1. It's very cute, and that close up pic of MG is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The skirt looks nice in that print, a lovely fresh looking outfit for her ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was about time that MG had something sewn for her that was only for her.;) Thank you, Colette!

      Delete
  3. I love the print in the skirt. The top is perfect for this outfit. my K loves the ease of knit tops too. I'll have to check out that place for some fabric :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was curious to find out if you kept the keyhole in the back of the knit top (& you did!) That second photo you really need to print out and frame!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The skirt drapes nicely and the print is really fun! I've been really happy with Organic Cotton too, had a variety of fabric types and they've all been nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a beautiful skirt and top, it suits her so well :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The skirt and top are a great match for each other - both style and fabrics. They look great!!! I love white tops, but I always seem to stain them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this outfit. that is the perfect white t-shirt with a bit of interest by virtue of it's shape. Well done and how pretty is she?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How grown up MG looks and how beautiful! You did a great job with this outfit, Cindy. I have also purchased this pattern and made it up with a solid top and a floral skirt. I need to get back to blogging! I have so many things to share!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!