Sunday, May 10, 2015

Mother's Day (Easter) Dress



pattern:  Oliver + S Fairy Tale Dress, View A
size:  8
fabric:  Lisette poplin print from the Spring 2012 collection and white Kona Cotton
mods:  piping on the sleeves and I omitted the belt and bow 

a little crumpled from being worn 


BK picked the fabric and the pattern.  I wanted to leave the sleeves off but she insisted that the dress have sleeves.  There was a brief moment of panic when she tried on the dress midway through construction and complained that it was uncomfortable under the arms.  I went back and trimmed the seam allowances and crossed my fingers.  Happily, there were no complaints today when she wore the dress to church!


Also, per BK, I left off the fabric belt.  I still think it would look cute with something at the waist.  I'm keeping my eye out at work for a white girl's belt.  If I can find one before the dress is outgrown, I'll add thread chain belt loops to the side seams to help hold the belt in place.  Assuming of course that BK will wear it.;)


14 comments:

  1. It fits her so nicely. Nice work listening to her preferences while sneaking the piping in :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Masha! She wasn't budging on those sleeves no matter what argument I used. But I'm glad I listened to her as those sleeves are pretty darn cute.;)

      Delete
  2. The colours look lovely on her - I love the petal sleeves, glad she chose them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The petal sleeves are probably my favorite part of the Fairy Tale dress! Though, I'd love to sew a sleeveless version...sometime.;) Thank you, Colette!

      Delete
  3. Very cute on her and I do love those sleeves (though piping them definitely adds work to the whole thing)! Nicely sewn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the color on BK! And, I have to agree with her on the sleeves;) I like the piping, too, I need to remember that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The piping went on really easy as I used a pintuck foot to sew it on (I was using my mom's Bernina). Much better results that what I typically get. Thanks, Brittney!

      Delete
  5. She looks lovely! I haven't made the sleeved version yet but really should get around to it after seeing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Katy! I'd like to make a sleeveless one sometime. Maybe BK will deign to let me make one this summer.;)

      Delete
  6. It's gorgeous! I love the piping (and her hair).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Catherine! BK likes to wear her hair up and a french braid was requested Sunday morning.;)

      Delete
  7. Good decision by BK to leave the sleeves. Love how you've added the white piping, Cindy - really finishes it off nicely!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful dress for Easter and I love the fabric :D The piping is excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's the coolest pose in the first pic! It's a gorgeous dress and I love those tulip sleeves.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!