Wednesday, September 16, 2015

New Shorts

 The younger girls had a real problem finding shorts that fit and were a style they liked this year.  I had searched all our usual kids' clothing stores but we had no luck.  The shorts they do have are starting to become quite worn out.  Luckily, Ottobre Design had a pattern that I thought might work.



pattern:  Ottobre Design 03/2014, #34 'Minnie Mouse' shorts
size: 128, added about 1/2" to the length
fabric:  cotton twill in stone from Organic Cotton Plus, leftover from my shorts here


Both MG and I are happy with how they turned out.  The only qualms I have is that they are a bit short and the seat of the shorts is a little baggy on MG.  I ended up serging and turning up the hems to preserve as much length as I could.  Next time, I'll add an inch so that I can do a double fold hem.  As for the baggy butt, it's just the way things fit on her.  If she wasn't going to outgrow the shorts in 6 months, I'd see about doing an adjustment. 


Summer meant next to no sewing for me between work, taking kids to practice, and taking kids to their summer jobs.  I spent more hours in the car than anything else this summer.  Though I was able to spend several mornings at the beach each week since my son's cross country practice is held at a state park across the street from the ocean.  So there were a few perks to being the taxi driver!
 
School has started now and even though I am still working, I'm going to do my best to squeeze a little sewing in. I've missed it!  Now the question is, do I go ahead and trace off BK's size to make a pair or move on to fall sewing?

                                                                  

14 comments:

  1. My first thoughts are "wow, those are awesome! Just like RTW!" my next thought was "hey, do I have that issue?" lol. Good shorts are so hard to find for girls. Too short, too tight, made cruddy. You did a fabulous job on these and I love the blue accent on the back pockets. You girl has some long legs on her! I'm glad you all had a great (busy) summer :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that's a cute outfit! The shorts look great, Cindy. Love the pocket detail! I think the baggy butt thing is a universal problem; well at least a pretty common one. I have the same issues with Mine and Bella's pants. I'm just not brave enough to do anything about it yet. So glad to see you sewing, it's such a stress reliever for me so i worry about sewing friends when I don't see any sewing projects for a while:) Im happy to hear you're doing well, even if its incredibly busy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at that flexible girl! The shorts look great - I don't see any bagginess in the butt from here. And I'm so jealous of where you live ... a few mornings a week at the beach all summer sounds heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look great! I'm off to look for that issue as well...
    Do your girls wear tights under shorts for the winter? You might be able to use them for a few more months then (and sneak in a pair for BK)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! There are a few things that my girls liked that from that issue.:) No tights for them...as soon as it's cool, they wear jeans. I'll probably hold off until spring time to make another pair.;)

      Delete
  5. Awesome shorts and what modelling style!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The shorts look great, Cindy and how cute is that button!!! Good to see you back. Never in my chauffeuring days was I lucky enough to be waiting near a beach.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What great flexibility skills. And I see she already has braces! Tell your kids to stop growing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great shorts, and good to see you sewing :-) ! My DD has (mostly) moved on to RTW clothing, give or take a tunic top or dress here and there. Though I'm sure if I went to the trouble of making better-than-RTW fly-front pants like you, she might change her mind :-) . As for pants/trousers that fit: I order from a French retailer, they cut slim and long, perfect for my straight up-and-down girl.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Seriously professional looking shorts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nicole! That's high praise coming from you.:)

      Delete
  10. These are fabulous shorts, and that is one LEGGY girl! My word! She is clearly going through the "all legs" phase, which is often accompanied by "no butt," in my experience (not always, but often). These are super profesh and well-made shorts, Cindy.

    ReplyDelete